Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
05-07-2014 12:28 PM
2 replies
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By androidcentral8450
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default As New Galaxy S4 I90505 says 'Custom'

Hi,

I recently bought an S4 I90505 on eBay sold As New. The phone looks fine in A1 condition and everything works OK.

The problem is I cannot upgrade firmware as it says Your device has been modified. Software Updates are Not Available

It has the following device data:

Model number: GT-I19505
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    Baseband Version: I9505XXUAMDM
    Kernel Version: 3.4.0
    SE.INFRAsep-106#1
    Fri Apr 12 17:00.35 KST 2013
    Build Number: JDQ39 I90505XXUAMDM
    SELinux Status: Permissive
    Device Status: Custom

Current Firmware Version: PDA:MDM / PHONE:MDM / CSC:MDC (BTU)

Can anyone help me get this back to an unmodified state?

Cheers

Default Re: As New Galaxy S4 I90505 says 'Custom'

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Love View Post
    I recently bought an S4 I90505 on eBay sold As New....it says Your device has been modified. Software Updates are Not Available...Device Status: Custom
    Hi. Nigel Love. I could be dead wrong (and I ask those more senior members to chime in) but I would gather this device has been rooted. The seller probably attempted to remove the custom root from the device before selling it.

My suggestion, preform a master reset based on the instructions laid out here:

How To Factory Reset Samsung Galaxy S 4 & Wipe Data

As far as I know, once a device is rooted, it will always have a "custom" Device Status. For example, I rooted a previous Android device under 4.1 and then upgrading the firmware to 4.3. I lost root but I never lost the "Custom (with an open lock)" on the splash screen. I have since re-rooted that device but that is besides the point. Good luck. Again, I am sure more senior members will respond shortly.

Default Re: As New Galaxy S4 I90505 says 'Custom'

Quote Originally Posted by androidcentral8450 View Post
    Hi. Nigel Love. I could be dead wrong (and I ask those more senior members to chime in) but I would gather this device has been rooted. The seller probably attempted to remove the custom root from the device before selling it.

My suggestion, preform a master reset based on the instructions laid out here:

How To Factory Reset Samsung Galaxy S 4 & Wipe Data

As far as I know, once a device is rooted, it will always have a "custom" Device Status. For example, I rooted a previous Android device under 4.1 and then upgrading the firmware to 4.3. I lost root but I never lost the "Custom (with an open lock)" on the splash screen. I have since re-rooted that device but that is besides the point. Good luck. Again, I am sure more senior members will respond shortly.
    +1 For Factory Reset