Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thepurpleturtle
  • 1 Post By Fabrizzio Migone
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Galaxy S4 Dropped in Water - PLEASE HELP!!

Hi,
    So today @ 2:30 AM I dropped my phone in the toilet by accident ( typical huh?) It was there for about half a second until I took it out of it's case and frantically dried it off. I then proceeded to panic and take out the battery. Since this is the first time I have dropped my phone in water, I did not think of calming down, searching for help on the internet sooner. This is what happened:
    1) Took battery off, and moved the phone up and down, like if I was trying to make the water go away.
    2) Frantically tried to turn it on after I dried the battery and phone (Which now I realized it was a big mistake)
    3) Put it in a bowl of rice, not closed, and went to sleep, since it was 3:00 AM by then.

Later on after I woke up @ about 9:00 I took the phone out and put the battery back in (Without realizing this is a bad idea) turned it on and the screen was normal. For about 5 seconds, I unlocked my phone, went my apps and checked if everything was fine. I then turned my head to take out my phone case (already dried) and saw that the phone's screen went black. I tried to turn it on again, which it did but the screen was black again. The options button and the back button illuminated, but the screen was black. Even the notification LED worked. Since then I have read up on what to do and realized all the mistakes I have made in the past few hours. Right now the phone and the battery is in a sealed zip lock bag that is filled with rice.

I need more help, since I am only 15 and can't afford a brand new phone ( I had to save up about 2 years to get a new phone, my old was was a flip phone).

If you have any helpful comments, tricks, suggestions or anything please post them down.
    Thank you!

EDIT: I checked the exterior water damage indicators on the battery and the phone, none of them triggered and are white.

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Dropped in Water - PLEASE HELP!!

This is extremely ironic since the s5 just.came out

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    troshs likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Indeed, BUT by the time I have money to buy a brand new S5 the S6 would have already came out...

Still, I can't give up hope so soon.

I really need help fast I don't want to think about loosing my phone so please, help.

I'm 17 but my tip is leave the battery out for a week and try the rice trick. If all goes wrong, you can just get a Moto g lol

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, hopefully that works. But is there any way to speed up the proccess? I mean, dipping it in something, using a drier, opening it up. etc...?

Just let it be.

Just leave the phone in rice & DON'T use a hairdryer as it will just push the water further into the phone I've heard.

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok, thanks for your help!
    If I can I'll check back in a week or two to see if it worked out.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

A lot of time has passed since my phone was dropped in water, and I almost forgot to post a response
    Anyways, the phone is now fine, the only problem is that when I drop it or hit it in the back, it always turns off.
    Apart from that everything back to normal.
    Thanked by:
    Martin Tashi likes this.

Thats good I once had my old fat psp laying on the table and accedently tipped over a cup of water on it I used the rice trick but nope wouldnt turn on but weird thing is it only turns on if its plugged in. So its most likely the battery connector on the psp is fried. Oh well I just went and replaced it anyways with a psp 3001 model. Which I mainly use for emulation.

Posted via Android Central App

For the best results you want to use instant white rice. Make sure to remove any covers and put the phone and battery in the rice, completely covered and all sealed in a large ziplock with as much air removed as possible. Leave it alone for a minimum of 24 hours.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.