Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By myersjesse
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do you manage your wifi connection?

Since WIFI uses so much battery, how do you manage your wifi?
    Here's mine: Home wifi, work wifi, gym wifi.
    But, there's travel between. And, sometimes I'm not at those places, and I forget to turn it off. It roams and is always looking for a wifi signal...and this uses battery life. Precious commodity on the S4.
    Then I wondered if anyone has an app they use to help manage that situation.
    I'm at 90% of my data plan now, so that's not an option to just leave it off.
    How do you manage your wifi? Just let it roam all of the time? Or shut it off? Or remember to turn it on/off? Or is there an app that does this for us without using battery as much as the wifi roaming would?
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    Since WIFI uses so much battery, how do you manage your wifi?
    Here's mine: Home wifi, work wifi, gym wifi.
    But, there's travel between. And, sometimes I'm not at those places, and I forget to turn it off. It roams and is always looking for a wifi signal...and this uses battery life. Precious commodity on the S4.
    Then I wondered if anyone has an app they use to help manage that situation.
    I'm at 90% of my data plan now, so that's not an option to just leave it off.
    How do you manage your wifi? Just let it roam all of the time? Or shut it off? Or remember to turn it on/off? Or is there an app that does this for us without using battery as much as the wifi roaming would?
    One app that does Wi-Fi management is Snapdragon Battery Guru but there are other ways to manage your Wi-Fi.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...snapdragon.app
    I also ran a search on the Play Store and this looked promising
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....com.superwifi
    Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by morami; 05-11-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Default Re: How do you manage your wifi connection?

I remember to turn it off/on so I'm ok.

You could buy tasker and set up up to turn on WiFi at those locations and turn it off when away.

OD, DX, D3, Bionic, Nexus, RAZR Max and Nexus 7
    electricpete likes this.

Look at Wi-Fi Matic. It works well for me. Location based and can turn your Wifi on or off as you desire.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    Look at Wi-Fi Matic. It works well for me. Location based and can turn your Wifi on or off as you desire.
    Wifi Matic did the trick. Seems to work great, turns off when I leave a preused wifi and back on when I get to another preused wifi.
    Good stuff. And I do think it's helped my battery life.
    Thanks again!
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

Glad to know it worked for you. It works so good for me that I forget I even have it. Great app!
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

If i turn on wifi whole time and use phone for a couple of hours , I get 48 hours battery life.

Actually bluetooth eats more battery life than Wifi in my phone.

My typical usage consists of 3-4 hours screen usage and 24 hours standby on a whole with wifi turned on whole time (if no wifi , its connected to mobile data) and auto brightness (+5)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Wow. Well, I use my phone more than that. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

I hope this is a related question.

When I turn on my phone, my wi-fi immediately starts scanning for the best available connection. It alights on the strongest, nearest of the three hotspots and then connects. But then it immediately starts scanning and finds 20-30 other hotspots nearby. None of them belong to us and we've never tried to log-on to any of them. All are also password -protected.

Here are my 2 questions. 1. Why does it keep scanning after it's already connected to a very strong signal? This concerns me because often the scanning process drops my existing connection--especially annoying when I'm already doing something online.

And 2, why does it keep scanning at all.? It's already connected me.

Oh and...how do I remove all of my neighbors' hotspots in scanning list. I "forget" a network, the scanner adds it back the next time it scans.

Thanks.

GT-I9500 running 4.3

In settings go to "connections" tap and hold WiFi to open it. From the menu button (bottom left next to the home key) select advanced then deselect "scanning always available". Close settings
    SM-N910F 4.4.4 stock
    I-9500 4.4.2 rooted and cleaned.
    SM-P605 4.4.2 stock

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    Wow. Well, I use my phone more than that. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    Me too ............. on some particular days.

Yes , I do have another way of using my phone as well which is more like "conservative mode"
    I lower brightness and I get around 6 hours screen time and 24 hours total phone usage with wifi connected whole time or mobile data.

If I really want more than that , I turn on power saving mode and pump 2.75 days battery life.
    (additionally I turn on wifi timer in advanced settings :
    Turn ON wifi "10 minutes before my wake up time"
    so that I turn off Wifi before sleep and by the time I wake up , that 10 minute window brings all notifications and updates)

Bosbouer--thank you, thank you. I'm off to try it right now.

GT-I9500 running 4.4.2.

Quote Originally Posted by trucky View Post
    On our 2 phones leaving Location services, especially GPS, on uses MORE battery than would be wasted leaving WiFi on.

I can't find Advanced wireless settings anywhere on my Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2 I long-pressed the Wi-Fi category. Nothing happened. I entered the Wi-Fi settings, and all I saw was the list of hotspots and below that, a button to scan and a button to gain access to Wi-Fi direct. I also looked in developer settings. Nothing. It seems strange that the scanner wouldn't have its own settings. Surely, I'm just missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    I can't find Advanced wireless settings anywhere on my Galaxy S4 running 4.4.2 I long-pressed the Wi-Fi category. Nothing happened. I entered the Wi-Fi settings, and all I saw was the list of hotspots and below that, a button to scan and a button to gain access to Wi-Fi direct. I also looked in developer settings. Nothing. It seems strange that the scanner wouldn't have its own settings. Surely, I'm just missing something.
    After going into wifi settings , press menu key (left key) to go into advanced settings

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    On our 2 phones leaving Location services, especially GPS, on uses MORE battery than would be wasted leaving WiFi on.
    Wi-Fi Matic doesn't use your GPS, it uses your carrier network cell tower identifiers to determine your relative location. In the Play Store, seach for the app, then read the Description.
    I'm going to give it a try.

Sanjay Chandra --thanks, but that didn't work either. Nothing happened.

Here is what I would do:

1- Install a battery saver device to disable connections when not used.
    2- Install AutoMateIt and make rule 'when WiFi disconnected for 5 minutes set WiFi to disabled' and;
    3- Add a WiFi widget to your home screen.

No need for GPS, which in turn uses battery.

Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    Sanjay Chandra --thanks, but that didn't work either. Nothing happened.
    Here :

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do you manage your wifi connection?-1400683911530.jpg  
    Thanked by:

I manually activate WiFi when I do use it.
    Being on a Sprint unlimited plan, I waste as much data as I want, so there's no need for WiFi.
    However, having a Sprint plan, I have incredibly spotty 3G service (even when roaming) in the city, so I have to use my campus' WiFi when I am chilling there.
    (Who would guess the boonies has better service than the city?)
    In these poor service situations I typically just switch off mobile data until I need it, at which point I'll connect to WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    Here :

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks..........exactly what I was trying to convey
    SM-N910F 4.4.4 stock
    I-9500 4.4.2 rooted and cleaned.
    SM-P605 4.4.2 stock