Android System suddenly using 25% of battery on Galaxy S4??

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just in the last day or so, I have had the Android System radically increase its battery usage, to the point that I can't get two days out of a charge anymore like I have before. What would cause that particular item to suddenly leapfrog above Screen and account for 25% of my total battery usage?? The phone is not lit up all day, so it's doing something while sitting idle in the case. I am on KitKat and AT&T. I found a thread for the Nexus 5 but the comments there didn't seem applicable to this phone. Thanks!

(I should add that the phone also feels hot in the vicinity of the camera lens on the back.)

Last edited:

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android System suddenly using 25% of battery??

Just in the last day or so, I have had the Android System radically increase its battery usage, to the point that I can't get two days out of a charge anymore like I have before. What would cause that particular item to suddenly leapfrog above Screen and account for 25% of my total battery usage?? The phone is not lit up all day, so it's doing something while sitting idle in the case. I am on KitKat and AT&T. I found a thread for the Nexus 5 but the comments there didn't seem applicable to this phone. Thanks!

(I should add that the phone also feels hot in the vicinity of the camera lens on the back.)

take out the battery and rotate it on a flat surface. a good battery will not rotate .
go to recovery and clear cache this may help

or this will a hardware problem

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I've tried all the fixes. 4.4.2 is a disaster. This is with light usage and 2 hours on the charger throughout the day.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-15-23-44-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-15-23-44-30.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 24

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Mine was doing the same after updating to kit kat.

But a couple of weeks after, my phone got an update and it's been better since.
1400212793216.jpg

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I am getting incredible battery life on my GS4 on 4.4.2.

Try clearing out play services cache in application manager and also once remove your email accounts and re add them.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I am getting incredible battery life on my GS4 on 4.4.2.

Try clearing out play services cache in application manager and also once remove your email accounts and re add them.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

How will removing and replacing my email accounts help? I wipe the cashe constantly.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

Mine was doing the same after updating to kit kat.

But a couple of weeks after, my phone got an update and it's been better since.
View attachment 118457

Your screen eats a lot of battery whereas the Android OS is killing me.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

take out the battery and rotate it on a flat surface. a good battery will not rotate .
go to recovery and clear cache this may help

or this will a hardware problem

I tried to clear cache via recovery and got the little dead Lloyd icon saying Error, like hundreds of other people from what I can see on the internet - sounds like the S4 doesn't let you do that anymore?

I have a spare battery and will run down the OEM one today and then put the spare in. I haven't seen any updates since KitKat but maybe there will be one out there... Sounds like a lot of people are having this problem with Android System. Too bad, because when this phone is behaving it has great battery life...

mobilecrackers

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I tried to clear cache via recovery and got the little dead Lloyd icon saying Error, like hundreds of other people from what I can see on the internet - sounds like the S4 doesn't let you do that anymore?

I have a spare battery and will run down the OEM one today and then put the spare in. I haven't seen any updates since KitKat but maybe there will be one out there... Sounds like a lot of people are having this problem with Android System. Too bad, because when this phone is behaving it has great battery life...

this might be a bug, we need to wait for next update.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Your screen eats a lot of battery whereas the Android OS is killing me.

I normally have the brightness all the way up.
I know it eats battery faster but that's how I use it most of the time.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

The phone seems happier this morning, it's not hot up around the camera lens - maybe there was a tower out and my signal was weak, would that make Android System work harder? my LTE symbol was gone and I was just on 4G.

I should add that I went to check for software updates just now, and there is one - can't download it till I get home and can connect to my wifi. Wonder if it will help.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The phone seems happier this morning, it's not hot up around the camera lens - maybe there was a tower out and my signal was weak, would that make Android System work harder? my LTE symbol was gone and I was just on 4G.

I should add that I went to check for software updates just now, and there is one - can't download it till I get home and can connect to my wifi. Wonder if it will help.

How long were you having that problem? Turnaround time on tower repairs is usually quick.

No update pending on my phone. I have Verizon. Who do you have?

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

How long were you having that problem? Turnaround time on tower repairs is usually quick. No update pending on my phone. I have Verizon. Who do you have?

AT&T, and all day yesterday at least. Still not great this morning, but Android System has dropped back below screen in terms of how much battery it's using in Usage Manager.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I believe it's fetch - I am using the stock email client and I have a time interval set up for it to check for new mail.

Stock mail app eats so much battery in my experience.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Then wouldn't Email show in my battery info? It does not. Battery was at 49 percent at 8:30 this am and I got the 15 percent warning at 11:30 with light use so the problem is not gone... what is android system DOING?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante