Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi very slow download speeds

After the update my phone did recently I've noticed that my home wifi download speeds are extremely slow, 3-4mbps. When I turn the wifi off and test my LTE (Verizon) I'm around 11-13mbps. I hardwired my laptop to my router and did a test and was getting 56mbps. Also tested my wife's iPhone 5s on wifi and she was getting 31-32mbps. So after doing all these tests I went over to my friends condo right down the street and got on his wifi and was getting 36mbps. Got back home and did another speedtest on my phone connected to my wifi and I'm still at 3-4mbps. What would cause such slow download speed?? I've tried turning my phone off and on numerous times and nothing has changed...

Sent from my Galaxy s4

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Default Re: Wifi very slow download speeds

Quote Originally Posted by 08silveradoonrims View Post
    After the update my phone did recently I've noticed that my home wifi download speeds are extremely slow, 3-4mbps. When I turn the wifi off and test my LTE (Verizon) I'm around 11-13mbps. I hardwired my laptop to my router and did a test and was getting 56mbps. Also tested my wife's iPhone 5s on wifi and she was getting 31-32mbps. So after doing all these tests I went over to my friends condo right down the street and got on his wifi and was getting 36mbps. Got back home and did another speedtest on my phone connected to my wifi and I'm still at 3-4mbps. What would cause such slow download speed?? I've tried turning my phone off and on numerous times and nothing has changed...

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    I went through this too; almost to the point of shipping my phone back to Samsung because my Nexus was downloading exponentially faster than my S4. The day I received my shipping label, my download speeds returned to normal. Totally unexplainable.

Posted via Android Central App
    Pure mathematics is the only truth in our world.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Murph5150 View Post
    I went through this too; almost to the point of shipping my phone back to Samsung because my Nexus was downloading exponentially faster than my S4. The day I received my shipping label, my download speeds returned to normal. Totally unexplainable.

Posted via Android Central App
    Hopefully something changes soon. I'm gonna call bb tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Global Posts
    8,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    So...normal download speeds elsewhere, but not at your house? And at your house it's only your phone having the problem?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    So...normal download speeds elsewhere, but not at your house? And at your house it's only your phone having the problem?

Yes that is correct

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Have you tried resetting the router? That helped me.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by THEPRFCT10 View Post
    Have you tried resetting the router? That helped me.
    Haven't tried that... yet! It's like the router isn't communicating with my phone due to some interference or glitch in software

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Global Posts
    8,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Haven't tried that... yet! It's like the router isn't communicating with my phone due to some interference or glitch in software

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    If it's only happening at your house, it's likely your router. Try resetting it and then setting up the connection again on your phone.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I just called comcast yesterday and they pinged it. Don't know if that would classify as a reset?!

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

I just called comcast yesterday and they pinged it. Don't know if that would classify as a reset?!

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    Pinging isn't a reset. All that means is the verified it was on the network.
    This isn't a PHONE issue, it's a router or ISP issue.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

As soon as my wife gets done doing some business on the internet I will reset the router and hope for the best! Basically unplug it and plug it back in, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy s4

As soon as my wife gets done doing some business on the internet I will reset the router and hope for the best! Basically unplug it and plug it back in, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    Correct. You can also force "n only" and see if it makes a difference.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Correct. You can also force "n only" and see if it makes a difference.

First of all, we don't even know the make and model of the router. It may not even be a wireless N, meaning the lower speeds are explained because his phone is being forced to use G or B. If it is a Wireless N router, Forcing N only is a very bad suggestion, considering the OP may have other wireless devices that are G or even B. We don't know, so if that is the case, forcing N will allow ONLY N wireless devices to work, and if the OP has others they will cease to connect. Also forcing N would make no difference in regards to your issue. Either way, the first thing you need to check is your routers make and model. If if does support Wireless N, continue with the instructions below. If it's a Wireless B or G, that is your issue, your phone is not getting the best speeds because your router is older and doesn't support N.

As for resetting. I would do a complete power cycle. Which would be doing the following in this order.

* Shut down all PCs/MACS on your network.
    * Unplug your modem and router ( If your modem has a battery back up remove the battery before unplugging )
    * Plug your modem back in FIRST. Making sure you get a solid ONLINE or CABLE light, depending on the make and model of the modem.
    * Once your modem is ONLINE, plug in your router
    * Turn on your PCs/MAC and reboot your phone

Do the above in that exact order. If you are still having speeds issues. You may want to visit your router manufactures support page and download a firmware upgrade if it's available.
    Telus Mobility
    ---
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

My router is the modem/router 2 in 1 that comcast provides. It's a few months old.

Sent from my Galaxy s4
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Reset the router and still the same situation. Not even getting 4mbps on my download speeds. Upload is good to go

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Reset the router and still the same situation. Not even getting 4mbps on my download speeds. Upload is good to go

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    I would contact Comcast. I doubt this has ANYTHING to do with your phone. Maybe the router config is SET for wireless B and since your PC is direct connect you aren't noticing it, not sure but I doubt it's the phone. I used to work for Comcast. I would NOT be surprised if it's on their end
    Telus Mobility
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    First of all, we don't even know the make and model of the router. It may not even be a wireless N, meaning the lower speeds are explained because his phone is being forced to use G or B. If it is a Wireless N router, Forcing N only is a very bad suggestion, considering the OP may have other wireless devices that are G or even B. We don't know, so if that is the case, forcing N will allow ONLY N wireless devices to work, and if the OP has others they will cease to connect. Also forcing N would make no difference in regards to your issue. Either way, the first thing you need to check is your routers make and model. If if does support Wireless N, continue with the instructions below. If it's a Wireless B or G, that is your issue, your phone is not getting the best speeds because your router is older and doesn't support N.

As for resetting. I would do a complete power cycle. Which would be doing the following in this order.

* Shut down all PCs/MACS on your network.
    * Unplug your modem and router ( If your modem has a battery back up remove the battery before unplugging )
    * Plug your modem back in FIRST. Making sure you get a solid ONLINE or CABLE light, depending on the make and model of the modem.
    * Once your modem is ONLINE, plug in your router
    * Turn on your PCs/MAC and reboot your phone

Do the above in that exact order. If you are still having speeds issues. You may want to visit your router manufactures support page and download a firmware upgrade if it's available.
    Setting it to N would be a simple setting and changing it back would be simple as well. It doesn't hurt to try. I know it made quite a bit of a difference for me forcing it to N. Obviously non N devices can't connect but it doesn't hurt to try to see what happens. It might not make a difference but spending the 5 minutes to try doesn't hurt. It certainly isn't going to cause any damage and is easily reversible

My wife and daughter are going through the same thing, I have an iPhone 5s and I'm getting 35 on the download and wife's and daughters are barely hitting 4 consistently and I have Comcast. In reading posts from below how is this a router issue when another device is receiving much better speeds than the other?

Please help us

Sent from my Galaxy s4
    I'm having the exact same issue with my S4. All of my devices are new enough that they run the n speeds. My download speeds are the same as yours. I've tried multiple resets with the gateway device, I've exchanged the gateway twice (the first exchange yielded a defective gateway), and I've gone in and changed the channel, performing speed tests on multiple devices to pick the optimal channel. My laptop, running on wi-fi averages about 30 Mbps down, my wife's desktop (wired) runs in excess of 50 Mbps down. Also in the household are three other smart phones (Moto X, S3, and S5), and four tablets, they ALL download in excess of 30 Mbps. I have Comcast internet service, I have the exact same gateway device as the OP, I have the Comcast Blast! service speeds. I've been going crazy trying to figure this out, what I haven't done yet is try out the speeds on another router. I've pretty much decided that it is a compatibility issue with the router; I found a forum last night that addressed this and there were several people with similar issues. They changed routers and the problem went away. So today, I intend to find another router or two to access and check speeds. If my DL speeds increase, I'm probably going to get rid of my Comcast supplied gateway and replace it with a new modem and router (I'm tired of paying the rental fee anyway).
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Samsung Droid Charge (ugh)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Glad we are all on the same page then.

Sent from my Galaxy s4
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Now is anybody having issues with their phones inputting duplicate letters when using the browser. When I open the browser and try to input a letter in the search bar it will input either duplicate letters or If I put in go (Google) it will automatically do "gogo".... it's really annoying having to erase and redo it every time I open the browser to do a search.

Sent from my Galaxy s4

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spotnjack View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue with my S4. All of my devices are new enough that they run the n speeds. My download speeds are the same as yours. I've tried multiple resets with the gateway device, I've exchanged the gateway twice (the first exchange yielded a defective gateway), and I've gone in and changed the channel, performing speed tests on multiple devices to pick the optimal channel. My laptop, running on wi-fi averages about 30 Mbps down, my wife's desktop (wired) runs in excess of 50 Mbps down. Also in the household are three other smart phones (Moto X, S3, and S5), and four tablets, they ALL download in excess of 30 Mbps. I have Comcast internet service, I have the exact same gateway device as the OP, I have the Comcast Blast! service speeds. I've been going crazy trying to figure this out, what I haven't done yet is try out the speeds on another router. I've pretty much decided that it is a compatibility issue with the router; I found a forum last night that addressed this and there were several people with similar issues. They changed routers and the problem went away. So today, I intend to find another router or two to access and check speeds. If my DL speeds increase, I'm probably going to get rid of my Comcast supplied gateway and replace it with a new modem and router (I'm tired of paying the rental fee anyway).
    Good, just as I thought, it wasn't the phone for sure the router/isp.
    I used to work for Comcast. And this doesn't surprise me at all, also I am not a fan of COMBO modem/router units AT ALL! I much prefer a stand alone modem and my own choice of router.
    Telus Mobility
    ---

My GS4 running 4.4.2 and is a SCHVRUFNC5 baseband version. About 8-10 weeks ago the wifi download speeds dropped to ~.5 Mbps. they used to be closer to 15Mbps. Nothing in the home changed, some router, some access point but I went from version 4.4.1 to verison 4.4.2. I have tried various hot spots and tests in several homes with different setups, always the same ~.5 Mbps speeds. If I use my tablet, a friends iPhone or smart TV the speeds are around 15Mbps which is what I would expect. I am thinking that the new version is causing issues with the download speeds. Does Google or Samsun plan a fix for this issue, has it been confirmed it is a phone issue, if not what steps should I take.

thanks.

I completely disagree with all people saying that its not the phone. It IS the phone. I have a Galaxy S3 that was recently recently updated from 4.3 to 4.4.2 and I have experienced the exact same thing. No changes at home with Uverse WiFi...15 to 20Mbps down before upgrade, 2 to 5 now. I even bought and installed an independent wireless router.NO CHANGE. Factory resets and reboots...NO CHANGE. I'm tempted to flash a non-stock ROM and/or a different modem to see if it makes a difference. Running stock rooted 4.4.2 BTW.

I've thought all along it was the phone. I'm glad to see that someone has put a little more legwork into this than I have. I have been looking into a new router and modem, I guess I won't waste my money now.
    BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Samsung Droid Charge (ugh)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast