Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Lone Wolf

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts

Default Can't enter recovery via Vol+, Home and Power

I wanted to clear my system cache to hopefully regain some battery life. However, when I attempt to boot into recovery by holding down the buttons, it shows Booting Recovery Mode at the top left of the screen, but then nothing happens. I sit there with a blank screen until I release the buttons and then it just boots normally into KitKat.

Is there another way to achieve Recovery Mode or to at least wipe the system cache? I'm not rooted and have no desire to do this so custom recoveries are out of the question. Would an FDR do anything or is the recovery completely separate from the OS?

edit: Was able to get in by doing Shutdown>Reboot and holding down the Vol+ button. However, doesn't it defeat the purpose of recovery if you can't access it without being in the OS first?

Thank you.
    Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2

Default Re: Can't enter recovery via Vol+, Home and Power

Mostly, all phones can only be booted into the recovery by using the vol. keys after a reboot. It is done so as non experienced users may not wipe the contents of their phone or do cause bricking of their device.
    You can always boot into recovery by using adb binary and having USB debugging enabled on your phone. The command on the computer (after connecting your phone and opening a CMD window in the folder containing the adb binary is) adb reboot recovery.

Shut the phone down, then hold the power button, the volume UP button and home button in until the samsung logo appears,immediately let go the power button, keep the volume UP and home button depressed until the android robot appears. Let go of the two buttons, you will ow see the recovery options. Using the volume up/down buttons navigate to the wipe cache option, press the power button lightly to start the wipe. The phone should reboot normally when completed . If not navigate to reboot now option and execute to reboot
    SM-N910F 4.4.4 stock
    I-9500 4.4.2 rooted and cleaned.
    SM-P605 4.4.2 stock
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Lone Wolf

Global Posts
    941 Global Posts

I was still pressing the power button. Will try your method when I get home.

edit: That seems to have done the trick.

Thank you.

Tappin' and Talkin' with Tapatalk.
    Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2