Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Upgraded SD Card, several apps are now grayed out w/ SD icon, all else is fine...

So both SD cards were formatted in the phone under kitkat 4.4.2. I copied the entire card to HDD (computer), put in the new card (samsung EVO 32) formatted it and copied the card back from the HDD to the new one (merging the two folders made by the format). I have all pics, music, contacts, videos, but many apps (mostly games i think, but other games work fine don't know if they use SD) just have the gray android SD icon and won't launch. Where did I go wrong? I know I can just reinstall them, but I was gonna root first before i did that. you have to reinstall everything after root anyway right? Anyway I still have both the original card (ADATA 8gb, used in a few phones) which didn't work right in the s4, until i did this same process and formatted it in the S4) and the backup on the computer. Cards don't read right unless they are being read from inside the s4, but i'm guessing that universal.

Global Posts
    23,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: Upgraded SD Card, several apps are now grayed out w/ SD icon, all else is fine...

Have you tried placing the old card back in the device and moving all the data back to the internal?

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Re: Upgraded SD Card, several apps are now grayed out w/ SD icon, all else is fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Have you tried placing the old card back in the device and moving all the data back to the internal?
    The data on the card was never on the internal memory. I put the 8gb card in before I ever installed an app. I wouldn't know what to move or to where.

Global Posts
    23,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

SOme of it had to have been though. In some way, otherwise, you would have been able to launch them. Is reinstalling them an option?

Phone Timeline
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

SOme of it had to have been though. In some way, otherwise, you would have been able to launch them. Is reinstalling them an option?
    The card was there before the DL'd apps. Reinstalling is the easy way out. I want to know what I did wrong. I like to be able to swap cards, and I copied everything so both cards would have the same base data. The only thing I can think of is that the drive formats are different so something screwed up, but that's thin. Maybe when I formatted the new card, I should have wiped whatever the phone put on it, instead of merging the two folders with the same names that appeared as a result of the in phone format.

Global Posts
    23,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha REX View Post
    The card was there before the DL'd apps. Reinstalling is the easy way out. I want to know what I did wrong. I like to be able to swap cards, and I copied everything so both cards would have the same base data. The only thing I can think of is that the drive formats are different so something screwed up, but that's thin. Maybe when I formatted the new card, I should have wiped whatever the phone put on it, instead of merging the two folders with the same names that appeared as a result of the in phone format.
    Unfortunately, I do not have that answer. I can't think of any reason why it did this, as it has been a while since I had a device with an external SD card.

Phone Timeline
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Unfortunately, I do not have that answer. I can't think of any reason why it did this, as it has been a while since I had a device with an external SD card.
    I bet once I root it, the problem will no longer apply. I blame the government/overlordds

Global Posts
    23,909 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I can't say about that either. I haven't had an SD card on a device with KitKat.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

I had same issue happen to me before. If they are self made shortcut icons just delete and remake the shortcut. If they the actual App icons I found reinstalling the app worked.

I upgraded from 32 gb SD card to 64 gb also copying files to computer and then back to new card. That when my icons did same.

I sort of remember with a couple of the apps I went through Application Manager and moved a couple of the affected apps back to device memory from sd card and then moved the app back to card.

Posted via Android Central App