The lights are off and theres some one home!!!

afallonme

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello peoples, can you please help me out here...
I have me a galaxy s4 I 9505...
My issue started last night while trying to take pictures the camera was working great and succeeded in some lovely pics of my dogs, i decided to change to video then things went pear shaped, big banana style!
First, the phone froze, i could see though the camera/video but it wasn't recording, eventually i got the pop up saying 'camera isn't responding force close' wait or ok (no sh1t sherlock wasn't an option!)
So after a soft refresh i tried again and the same thing happened, I did this several times to no avail.
Anyhoo after the battery loosing charge from being over 2thirds full and started over heating i charged it again and thought nothing of it other than it had a brain fart and proceeded to bed, i had taken it off charge over night, i didn't fancy being crispy by the morning you know with the heating thing and all.....
So this morning my alarm didn't go off as i had discovered that the battery had died over night, perhaps it didn't like all the names i was calling it, i don't know, so back on charge and was still playing up, so i decided to check google and did the recommended things like soft reset and clearing cache, though it froze when i tried to do that too, battery in and out several times again i decided to go and do a hard reset, first i tried via the in phone menu which nothing at all happened, so i tried the button method of holding down the volume up, the power and home keys simultaneously, again nothing happened, took battery out and back in and it didn't want to switch on...eventually it has but the screen is completely black, but the touch screen does work as i had my other. Half call me and knowing where i needed to swipe in order to answer it worked and we could hear each other. So i am left with a phone that i can answer, but other than that cant use, and to top it off some has texted me!!! What does happen when i press either e home key or the power key is the two. Soft keys light up nice and pretty but the screen flashes with like feint yellow horizontal stripes which seem thicker towards the top of the screen. I haven't dropped it in water or anything, i have dropped it a couple of times while home but it has always worked fine, and i haven't done it recently. Does any one have any ideas please......have gone loopy trying to sort this issue....:p:confused: I forgot to mention at the phone has been rooted since november last year with no problems at all no a single thing.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's a lot of strangeness.:) Did you actually clear the system cache partition, following these steps? Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support. I'm just not sure if you did this or just cleared the app caches previously.

A failing battery can sometimes cause strange behavior, so it might be worth trying a new battery. Also, a corrupt SD card can cause problems, so try unmounting the card (if you have one) in Settings>Storage​, removing it, then rebooting.

Joe Vile

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow that sounds like a serious hardware malfunction! How old is the phone. Are you still under warranty?

Posted via Android Central App

afallonme

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks for your response, no, i didnt manage to clear the cache, because when i tried to clear the camera cache the phone froze on me for aaaaaaages, I mean hours so i took the battery out in order to get it going again of which it did....but now it doesn't and im sad and in a huff...

afallonme

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
The phone is roughly a year old, but i had bought it brand new from a "foneshop" in november last year, apparently an elderly person bought it but it was too complicated for her so she sold it and i believe it voids the warranty. Such a good phone too...