Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Upgrade microSD card in S4?

I've got a US Galaxy S4 that has an 8Gb microSD card in it. It's getting full and I'd like to replace it with a 32Gb one. I had thought to turn the phone off, extract the old card, and copy everything from the old card to the new one (out of the box) on a Windows PC. Will that work, or are there other things that need to get done? I'm trying to avoid worrying about which apps are set to write to folders on the microSD card getting confused by seeing the blank card there.

Destination card is a Sandisk Ultra.

Thanks,

Gary

Default Re: Upgrade microSD card in S4?

I think that would work, but I've never tried it myself. When you remove the old card, make sure you unmount it first in the Settings>Storage menu.

It may not matter, but, after unmounting and removing the old card, I would insert and mount the new one and let the phone format it. Then unmount and remove it and do your copy to it on your Win PC.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I was planning to shut down the phone before I removed the card. I guess I'm best off formatting the card in the device. If I do that I'll have to check the apps which write to the card to make sure they remember to do so.

If I shut down to swap the card to I still need to eject it in Storage in Settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Berg View Post
    If I shut down to swap the card to I still need to eject it in Storage in Settings?
    I'm not sure if there's any problem with shutting down and then removing the card. If you want to be completely safe, unmount first, then shut down, then remove the card.