Help needed - swapping from iphone 5 to galaxy s4

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Apologises I'm new to this site so it's my first thread and not sure where this post so go anyway....

I'm currently using an iphone 5 with my contract use to end next year. I've been having quite a few problems, hardware style with the iphone etc. Ive been toying over the idea of switching over to the galaxy. Basically I've seen a used/refurbished s4 and I'm thinking of getting this to tie me over till next year? I can sell my iphone for the same price so I'm not losing out.

I do like my iphone minus the problems but I'm very bored of it now and I want abit more flexibility. I do like the fact that I can use it easily with one hand and typing is easy. Simple. I like the screen of the s4 but not sure if it'll be too bulky?

I had an s3 last year to test it out but I noticed it was quite laggy and a chore to do certain things.

Is the s4 still like this. I've read it is but there is a developer mode to correct this?

So in summary. Am I best off waiting till my contract ends next year and see what's out or get this s4 to test the waters? Not sure what to do!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Developer options are always available on Android devices, but they don't always correct lag, since there can be many different reasons for lag. On Samsung devices, one of the main potential reasons for lag is TouchWiz, since it's a pretty heavy overlay. You could always install an alternate launcher, or look for a Google Play Edition S4 (which comes with the stock Android interface, not TouchWiz).

I would also be a little cautious with a used or refurbished S4, because it can be hard to know why the unit was returned in the first place. Since you're looking to move from iOS to Android, it would be a shame if you got turned off by a subpar Android experience owing to some kind of defect. If you're looking for a lower cost device, maybe you could consider a Moto G, which gets overall excellent reviews, especially considering its low price.

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. What do you mean by alternative launcher?

I've read lost of sites people complaining about lag not sure if this or why this is such a huge problem to people

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Alternative launchers like Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher can be installed to replace the homescreen interface that came with a device. They are typically more customizable, and sometimes improve overall performance, since they are often leaner than some of the big bloated manufacturer skins.

Lag is a somewhat common complaint for Samsung phones, due primarily to TouchWiz, which is Samsung's homescreen interface. People may complain about somewhat sluggish swiping between homescreens, among other things. But the complaints aren't universal, and the newer phones (like the S5) are so powerful that lag becomes much less common.

I edited my previous response above, so look at it again, regarding other possible phones to consider.

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Ah ok cool thanks indeed. I didn't realise that could be done. Hmmm

I've looked at previews for the new ios 8 update for the iphone and not entirely impressed there is gonna be anything to sway me to stay with them

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Ah ok cool thanks indeed. I didn't realise that could be done. Hmmm

I've looked at previews for the new ios 8 update for the iphone and not entirely impressed there is gonna be anything to sway me to stay with them

I have an s4 and its fast, but not quite as fluid as the iPhone. For around the same price range used, you could find a good deal on a 2013 HTC one, which is a very slick android phone with iPhone build quality. Just know that you have lots of options in Android other than Samsung :)

Posted via My Ever-Bloated S4

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It takes getting used to, but for me it was definetly worth it. If your not happy with your iPhone then switch. I'm actually saving up right now to jump to a HTC phone. There's just a lot of choices, be patient find the one for you :)

Posted via My Ever-Bloated S4

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Consider a Moto X. The size is a little smaller, and many consider it one of the best Android phones.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks bud. I really think I'm going to go with the s4 to see how it goes. Gonna Missy iphone but I guess it's a case of getting use to

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I really don't know what to do! Really want to change from iphone not sure to bite the bullet and get an andriod phone now to use and get use to before my contract ends next year ;(

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If you decide to get the S4, here's my advice.

Back up your iPhone through iTunes. This needs no introduction.

Download Samsung's Smart Switch to your computer here.

Connect your S4 and follow the instructions.

You should have pretty much (nearly) everything from your old iPhone. Keep in mind that apps won't be transferred. Smart Switch will try to download the Android version of that same app if it exists, but you'll have to find an Android alternative if there is no Android version of that app.

alexcolka

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't want to quote nobody and not even start a holy war of the oses, but isn't better to be able to make your own choices other than someone's making those choices for you? Just a thought.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I really don't know what to do! Really want to change from iphone not sure to bite the bullet and get an andriod phone now to use and get use to before my contract ends next year ;(

I did the same as you switched to a note 2. It was a mistake coming from an iPhone and too much of a jump. I also made the mistake of thinking it was because I didn't like Android. I obviously returned to ios but then found I missed a lot of androids features. Next I switched to the moto x which is what every iPhone user who wants Android should do. Being closer to stock makes a world of difference to us newbies. It was far easier to learn and appreciate. I also kept the note which after using the moto x, I now understand a lot better and can appreciate it's vast benefits more.

I'm also in mixed minds about ios 8 update. I think I'm gonna stick with Android till it's out, play with it on the wife's iPhone then decide from there. Although I thinks it's a major advancement in ios, I don't see its adding a lot that I'm not already getting from my switch to android

TL:DR- don't be lazy, go back and read it!

Posted via Android Central App