Using S4 with a local SIM, help please!

KBX

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Gurus of the android world, I've lurked for a while and gotten a ton of useful advice from here, ran into a small issue and was hoping someone could help me figure it out.

I'm the proud owner of a Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545). I'm working on my master’s degree, which required me to go to Israel for a few months, and after doing some Googling, I found out that even though I have a Verizon phone, the s4 is not only CDMA but has a SIM card slot because it is an LTE capable phone.

So I did a little more Googling and I found out that if I bought a local GSM SIM and input the APN I should be able to get calls, sms, and data. The information was a bit light on the topic, but a few useful threads (here and here) said that if I put in the SIM I could get calls and sms, and if I input the APN I could be able to get to data. So I went and picked up a local SIM ($17 USD/month for unlimited calls, sms, and 6 GB of data, love it) for a service called Golan Telecom. At first it was great, but now it constantly switches between saying it has service and saying its roaming. Here’s a photo of some of the different icons it switches between. I looked in my phone’s icon glossary and didn’t see them there, can anyone explain them to me?

So after all of this, I thought I would turn to you, the android gurus. First off, can anyone tell me what exactly is going on?

If I removed my Verizon LTE SIM and set the phone to Global, I should be getting my service from Golan Telecom instead of Verizon right? Even though the CDMA chip is still inside of it? I checked my account on My Verizon and it says I haven’t been charged ad I’ve had no global minutes, messages, or data used. But I also know Verizon and expect the worst.

Basically, does anyone know what this all means? Is there a way to verify I’m not being overcharged for anything? Am I actually roaming, or is it just because there is a foreign SIM in the phone?

Thanks everyone, you’re the best

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke