Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android OS Eating Battery

Sorry for another battery drain thread. I tried searching about this problem on google and haven't found solutions that worked.

I have a Galaxy S4, which is almost a year old. I take good care of it (it was only ever dropped once and that wasn't even by me) and it isn't rooted. Recently I've noticed that sometimes, after having the phone at 100% in the morning, I check it again in the afternoon and it's all the way down to 30% even when I don't use it that much. I check the battery statistics and, whereas in the past "Screen" would always use up by far the most battery (as it should be), now "Android OS" is using up a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount:
    Android OS Eating Battery-7h644og.jpg

In case it's relevant, ages ago, before this issue started, I downloaded a battery-saving app called 2x Battery which turns off my WiFi/3G after 1 minute of being locked and then periodically turns it on and off every 15 minutes to sync notifications. It worked really well when I first got it, but now due to this Android OS issue I can barely survive a full day with my phone, even when I barely use it.

I'm really not sure what's causing this issue, and having the battery statistics vaguely say that Android OS is causing the battery drain isn't helping, since Android OS encapsulates a lot of different things. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, or how I can get a more detailed list of processes that are using up my battery?

Thanks!

Default Re: Android OS Eating Battery

In my case battery savers never worked for me they worsened the situation because of their monitoring features that may trigger many wake locks, as I said in other thread I'm not suggesting this is your case btw.

Other thing you may consider is to watch for apps that use location services as they may drain a lot of battery. In that case you may consider changing location services to power saving mode.

Finally you may try un checking in settings/wifi/advanced/always allow scanning, that gave me more battery time.

Surely there are many more recommendations for you to try but those mentioned above are the ones that worked best for me.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply! I don't think it has to do with my actual consumption of battery since my phone used to always last a full day with plenty of juice to spare (and Android OS never affected my battery drainage so heavily). I keep location services turned off all the time and my battery saver turns off Wi-Fi when I don't use it so I don't think it has to do with Wi-Fi either. Something must be running in the background which is eating through my battery. Only thing I can think of is that recently I got a live wallpaper called Circuitry. Maybe that's causing the battery drain? Although if it is, wouldn't it show up separately in the battery statistics, rather than being part of Android OS?

Anyway, I wish it would be a bit more specific on what's using up the battery. Thanks again for the reply .

I see a lot of blue at the bottom of the graph. Click on the graph to get additional detail below it on when screen on and when device awake. If it spends a lot of time awake without screen on, could be a wake lock problem.

Also Try gsam...might give you more clues.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.gsamlabs.bbm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hey I had the same problem like you. Mine was hovering at 60% the solution that i found was wiping the phone by doing a factory install. I really think whenever you do an upgrade on the os it messed up everything so no matter what you do something will drain your battery. After i wiped it out and all the apps that i used re-installed. Now my Android os is hovering at 20% give it a shot i hate doing cause so much work but at the end of it i'm glad i did it my battery improved significantly

Quote Originally Posted by StepW View Post
    Sorry for another battery drain thread. I tried searching about this problem on google and haven't found solutions that worked.

I have a Galaxy S4, which is almost a year old. I take good care of it (it was only ever dropped once and that wasn't even by me) and it isn't rooted. Recently I've noticed that sometimes, after having the phone at 100% in the morning, I check it again in the afternoon and it's all the way down to 30% even when I don't use it that much. I check the battery statistics and, whereas in the past "Screen" would always use up by far the most battery (as it should be), now "Android OS" is using up a SIGNIFICANTLY larger amount:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7h644Og.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	124343

In case it's relevant, ages ago, before this issue started, I downloaded a battery-saving app called 2x Battery which turns off my WiFi/3G after 1 minute of being locked and then periodically turns it on and off every 15 minutes to sync notifications. It worked really well when I first got it, but now due to this Android OS issue I can barely survive a full day with my phone, even when I barely use it.

I'm really not sure what's causing this issue, and having the battery statistics vaguely say that Android OS is causing the battery drain isn't helping, since Android OS encapsulates a lot of different things. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, or how I can get a more detailed list of processes that are using up my battery?

Thanks!

Hi. It all started with the brilliant kit kat upgrade. After optimizing almost everything.. Gsam etc... It still drains 1% per hour and 20 to 25% per hour during phone or internet surfing. Any ideas??? I've got three: do not update, do not purchase a future samsung and switch to the next iPhone. This faulty upgrade took too much of my time.

Posted via Android Central App