S4 Favour: could somebody do a small app test for me?:

ckpager

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Would anyone who owns a Galaxy S4 with latest OS be willing - please! - to download this very small (312kb) & free app, and tell me if you are able to select "extSDCard" when the app asks you to select the folder containing data files? I would only take a couple minutes, and I'd greatly appreciate it, as my purchase of an S4 depends on being able to confirm that I'll be able to get this app to run on external SD data files. When I tried this on the S4 previously, the app could not locate the external SD card, but I'm hoping this has changed with the latest update. THANK YOU!
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.hace.fastwiki&hl=en&token=MTzQ9htg
(or: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../https://play.google.com/store&token=BA715Pzw and search for faswiki)

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone who owns a Galaxy S4 with latest OS be willing - please! - to download this very small (312kb) & free app, and tell me if you are able to select "extSDCard" when the app asks you to select the folder containing data files? I would only take a couple minutes, and I'd greatly appreciate it, as my purchase of an S4 depends on being able to confirm that I'll be able to get this app to run on external SD data files. When I tried this on the S4 previously, the app could not locate the external SD card, but I'm hoping this has changed with the latest update. THANK YOU!
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d....hace.fastwiki&token=UJ672ti3

We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No go it can not be moved to the external SD card. Option is greyed out.

App also report "no data files found" and ask to log onto a wikiwrite website

ckpager

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Bosbouer, I really appreciate your help in looking at this app. My question however was very specific and unfortunately not addressed by your kind response.

I'm not worried about whether the app itself (tiny) can be moved to the external SD card.

I'm not worried about downloading any data files (FastWiki asks you to download the Wikipedia databse onto your desktop, run a conversion program, then copy those files onto the phone's the external SD card manually. All 13GB in total!).

My question is whether the FastWiki programme is even able to look for its data files on the Samsung's external SD card.

Therefore,

When you first run FastWiki, it says no data files found. At this point,

**If you press the android menu key, and choose "Option", one of the options is "select data file folder." Choose this. You will see a list of folders.

**question: are you able to select "extSDCard" and browse through external SD card folders? You won't find the actual data files, but can you at least find the external SD card? When I tried this before the update, I could only find the folder called "SDCard" (which is actually internal memory), and I was not able to access the actual SD card at all.

Thank you again if you're able to clarify this important point.

Best regards
ckp

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Bosbouer, I really appreciate your help in looking at this app. My question however was very specific and unfortunately not addressed by your kind response.

I'm not worried about whether the app itself (tiny) can be moved to the external SD card.

I'm not worried about downloading any data files (FastWiki asks you to download the Wikipedia databse onto your desktop, run a conversion program, then copy those files onto the phone's the external SD card manually. All 13GB in total!).

My question is whether the FastWiki programme is even able to look for its data files on the Samsung's external SD card.

Therefore,

When you first run FastWiki, it says no data files found. At this point,

**If you press the android menu key, and choose "Option", one of the options is "select data file folder." Choose this. You will see a list of folders.

**question: are you able to select "extSDCard" and browse through external SD card folders? You won't find the actual data files, but can you at least find the external SD card? When I tried this before the update, I could only find the folder called "SDCard" (which is actually internal memory), and I was not able to access the actual SD card at all.

Thank you again if you're able to clarify this important point.

Best regards
ckp

Here's an idea. Contact the developer. This seems fishy!

ckpager

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I tried to contact developer before making my posting - no reply. This is a free app, I don't have much claim on the lone developer's time.

The app is from the Android Play Store. It's been installed more than 10,000 times. It's rated 4.3 stars out of 5. It's a legitimate app, and I use it every day on my Sony Xperia. The only thing that's fishy is that Samsung phones have a strange way of accessing its external SD cards, so I'm trying to find out whether this app (which needs to access the external SD card) can work on Samsung S4.

Thanks anyway for your help. I'll keep trying.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried to contact developer before making my posting - no reply. This is a free app, I don't have much claim on the lone developer's time.

The app is from the Android Play Store. It's been installed more than 10,000 times. It's rated 4.3 stars out of 5. It's a legitimate app, and I use it every day on my Sony Xperia. The only thing that's fishy is that Samsung phones have a strange way of accessing its external SD cards, so I'm trying to find out whether this app (which needs to access the external SD card) can work on Samsung S4.

Thanks anyway for your help. I'll keep trying.

If the developer isn't responding to you, then that alone should tell you what kind of APP you are using. If there is no support. Then I wouldn't rely on that app period.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463