Major issues with S4

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
So where to start. 10 month old S4 and it's crashing, rebooting randomly, corrupting and deleting photos (although that bit is possibly the SD card), has been known to be extremely laggy with every operation, music has previously skipped/sounded corrupt even on device storage.

I can't do a device restore because kies doesn't work so what can I do?

Edit: right now my mobile connection has died and GPS has been stuck on for nearly half an hour

Posted via Android Central App

erinxia

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problems, though not as severe as yours. For Kies, it didn't work for a while for me either and I was running out of memory space (took too many photos) and I didn't want to put the photos in the SD card since my last batch of photos were corrupted by it. I had to restart my phone before putting in the Kies. Sometimes, when I"m using an app and i have finished typing something, my keyboard would stay frozen and nothing would fix it except trying to putting to sleep and turning it on again.

It's really frustrating.

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I've also had the set up input methods screen come up while I'm typing, the keyboard continues to work, but the screen won't go away and all inputs near the space bar register as a held space bar (bringing up input methods again)

And not forgetting the 20 hour charge time from the wall socket

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've also had the set up input methods screen come up while I'm typing, the keyboard continues to work, but the screen won't go away and all inputs near the space bar register as a held space bar (bringing up input methods again)

And not forgetting the 20 hour charge time from the wall socket
Sound's like you are way overdue for a factory reset. Save all your data to an external source. Deleselect the option to reinstall apps and accounts from Google and Samsung. Make sure you have at least 60% charge on the battery. Shut device down. Then boot into recovery by holding the power button, home button and volume up buttons in. Once the Samsung logo appears let go of the power button only. The device will go through some screens with Android logos. Keep the home and volume up buttons in until you reach the recovery screen. Follow the on screen instructions to navigate to "clear cache" and clear then navigate to "wipe and factory reset" reset and your device will restart to as new out of the box. You will have set up all your accounts afresh but all purchased apps will still be available provided you use the original google account.
It will be worthwhile. Good luck

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
What's the best software to backup with because kies is not playing ball

My animation scale also randomly turns off

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally I used my Google account to backup Contacts and pictures. Emails are delivered to my PC in any case and for documents and pictures I use Dropbox and Photobucket respectively.

Here is a summary of some of the better apps: Mobile Backup & Restore (Free / $1.99 mo)

Of this bunch Helium looks like a good option.

For starters I would only reinstall apps that I use daily.

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Getting so fed up with this phone now. Downloads randomly stop and don't say why. They don't appear in the notification ready either so it means I have to start app downloads over again

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Still don't know how to back this up completely. Various programs just fail at this. Why isn't there something like iTunes provided by Google that does this. Used iTunes for this exact purpose without issue. Too many steps on droid. Currently for no way to back my apps up and not entirely sure how I set up as new device (again iTunes restore option allows it). Will try the other guy's option but I have no idea what's backed up and what isn't

EDIT: -_- Back panel has some pressure scratches. The build quality of this thing is shockingly bad. It's been in a case pretty much 24/7 for 10 months. Welcome to the blacklist Samsung, your products have sucked one too many times

Anyway, back on topic. If I reset it don't I have to set my SD card up again and format it?

Last edited:

Edible Walrus

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
For whatever reason screenshot isn't showing. I'm hoping that these issues will resolve themselves though and are caused by an app or some sort of bug. I like Android and the phone but true to form, it's starting to go bad

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20