Can an S4 on Cricket be unlocked to use on any other carrier?

A

AC Question

can a s4 on cricket be unlocked to use any other carrier

bought the s4 in dec 2013...now cricket apparently is changing their gms something and I have 2 purchase a new phone after march 2015....after I just paid retail 600+ for the s4 frm cricket
is it possible 2 unlock the cricket s4 to use any other carrier sim? if so, please tell me step by step.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: can a s4 on cricket be unlocked to use any other carrier

I believe you have the l9515 model?

It should work for any SIM after being unlocked. 3G/H+ may not be possible on T-Mo depending where you are due to a missing 1700 band on the 3G radio. I'd take it to AT&T for best compatibility including LTE as Cricket is riding on big blue's rails.

Unlock should be a snap. You don't owe Cricket on the phone and are in good standing with your bills, yes? Ask them for the unlock code and they have to provide it. That's part of the new "unlock law." 3rd party people aren't supposed to do it, so your carrier has to perform it as a reasonable service if you aren't indebted to them for back monies owed.

Elizabeth Alamo

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I asked them 4 the unlock code n they keep giving me my 4digit pin even after I explained wht I needed frm thm....is tht code also called puk?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No. The PUK code is different. That is for when you have locked your SIM card out from communicating with the phone. It is specific to the SIM card and not the phone hardware.

Make sure they know you want it unlocked for use on another carrier... Last carrier unlock I did was via a hacker software method that read it off the actual phone hardware. If I remember correctly it was a 6 digit number. That was for a webOS phone. Not sure what yours would be, but probably about the same. They will need your IMEI number from under the battery or the ESN from the same spot and they can look it up. Ask them if there is a website or email to make the request to.

When you put in a SIM for another carrier and boot up the phone, it prompts you for the code at that point. Put it in once and the phone is always carrier unlocked after that.

lenwa

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I took my cricKet s4 to Metro & they said there was no iemi no#, (a 15 digit) that they need to run thru their computer to see if they can provide me service. They told me ask cricKet for they unlock code & cricKet said there isn't an unlock code, also saying there is no iemi no.# either, (my phone e has a 12 digit no#)). What carrier will provide my s4 service? Anyone???

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I took my cricKet s4 to Metro & they said there was no iemi no#, (a 15 digit) that they need to run thru their computer to see if they can provide me service. They told me ask cricKet for they unlock code & cricKet said there isn't an unlock code, also saying there is no iemi no.# either, (my phone e has a 12 digit no#)). What carrier will provide my s4 service? Anyone???

Cricket has a 4 month or 6 month unlock policy. If you've owned the phone for 6 months, they will have to honor their policy to unlock the phone. Can you maybe bring it in to a store?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If they still refuse to unlock it, send a letter to

Jennifer Van Buskirk
President
Cricket Communications
5887 Copley Drive
San Diego, CA 92111

Mark it Personal and Confidential.

Tell her what you're trying to get, and that the law requires that, as long as the phone is paid for, which it is, they're required to provide you with the SIM-unlock code, and would she please direct you to an employee competent enough to do so.

I've learned that, once the top executive of a company tells an employee to do something, it gets done. (And top level executives get very annoyed when an incompetent employee causes them to take time out of their busy schedule to correct a problem that shouldn't have occurred in the first place.)

kiemo

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
The samsung s4 does have an imei number. Got to the phones settings click more then click about device, scroll down and u will find the imei number for ur phone. I myself have to unlock a s4 that i purachased

Kaarah Santos

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Actually I work for Cricket and let me tell ya. No we sadly do not have the unlock codes for the old Cricket gs4. Apparently it is only CDMA compatible and thus won't unlock to GSM networks. I had an s4 myself, so yeah. :( that being said..... cricket itself doesn't but I've seen about 2-3 customers walk in with unlocked cricket phones and activate them..... sadly haven't figured out how.

goinuts

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here after forking over 700 in Nov 2013.. If anyone finds a solution please advise! I even bought the extra 10 a month insurance and the phone will be useless unless it can be used on cricket gsm or another carrier. Time is running out coz they are shutting down old cricket end of Feb. They would only tradein giving 40 for it on another s4 for 499. I think that's unfair and a class action should be brought.. But what can we do?

Melissa Rivera1

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
They tell you there is no IMEI. But yes there is go into your settings, Hit More, Go into About Device, Then go into Status, scroll down it should be the 13th line down on the Cricket S4. Mind you it took me a little bit to search my entire phone to find this. When I took the battery off there was nothing but a 15 digit number there and that is not what they are asking for. So people try this and see if you can get your unlock pin with this. Cricket has pushed me around for to long. This phone cost me damn near $600 when I bought it and it's not even 9 months old, not a scratch on it and they want to offer me only a $165.00 towards what they call a trade up!!!! This is just some straight bull!!!!!

jlambing

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
A Cricket phone (CDMA) can be unlocked and used on Verizon. As I understand.

If it is a GSM version, simply swapping the SIM card should take care of that.
I've done exactly that with various phones several times without issue.

If the SIM says "4G/LTE" it's a CDMA and can only be used on Verizon.

suncatcher62

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Verizon said I cannot use my s4 from cricket!! I give up..$700 down the drain

Verizon sd it has nothing to do with 4GLTE or CDMA...its crickets software these devices were manufactured with. flashing has to be done by a 3rd party. I spoke with tech support guy ran my imei and it doesnt even register. Cricket and att screwed us

Last edited by a moderator:

djtoxico

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site

Yes samsung galaxy can be unlock and use with any other carrier such as metro pcs or tmobile i will give more information an details in a video for better understanding i also paid 500 or the phone i was not going to let it go for 160 or so that cricket was giving. Also cricket does not provide unlock code you have to unlock it your self or buy the code from an online retail i unlock mine my self its easy and simple you cannot activate with other carrier unless you unlock the phone first. if you have question ill try to answer them at my best