Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Finding alarming warnings

I was browsing my new S4 trying to learn how to get the best out of it. Looking at the Google Search settings I found these two items under permissions - directly call phone numbers and send SMS messages with the warning that "this may cost you money". However I can't see any way of turning these permissions off.

Is there any way of doing so or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Global Posts
    22,244 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Finding alarming warnings

Quote Originally Posted by Begadoc View Post
    I was browsing my new S4 trying to learn how to get the best out of it. Looking at the Google Search settings I found these two items under permissions - directly call phone numbers and send SMS messages with the warning that "this may cost you money". However I can't see any way of turning these permissions off.

Is there any way of doing so or am I worrying unnecessarily?
    Those permissions have to be there so if you use Google Voice commands to text someone, etc.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

The app "Advanced Permission Manager" can modify the apk of any app and remove certain permissions you don't want it to have.
    For example, I don't want Facebook to be able to text and call numbers, so I have it disabled.
    Keep in mind removing permissions may disable features.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heagoo.pmaster

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    22,244 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

The above can work, but that may also block functions of the app or even cause the app to force close.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Is there any real risk in leaving things as they are? I'm not going to be trying out lots of apps so how likely am I to load something that is going to be for example, dialing premium lines without my knowledge?

I am very familiar with what is wise and unwise when it comes to PCs but I am very much a novice with smart phones.

Global Posts
    22,244 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Begadoc View Post
    Is there any real risk in leaving things as they are? I'm not going to be trying out lots of apps so how likely am I to load something that is going to be for example, dialing premium lines without my knowledge?

I am very familiar with what is wise and unwise when it comes to PCs but I am very much a novice with smart phones.
    If you stick to popular apps or ones that have been downloaded many times, it should be OK. If anything, you can always ask on the forums.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Phone Timeline