Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Smart Phone sd card newbie problems

I just got the galaxy s4 a few months ago as my first smart phone. I bought a 64 gb sd card, and I have transferred everything I can to the card from the device storage - all of my apps I have moved over, as well as everything on the "my files" app. Even though I have moved over everything that I can think of, my device storage says that there is only 2 gb of free space on my device, and my phone is still being kind of glitchy and slow. What am I missing? What else can I transfer to my sd card to free up space? Do apps take up space on my device storage even if they are stored in my sd card?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Smart Phone sd card newbie problems

Typically Android takes about 5 to 6 Gb of space for the Operating System. So if you started with 8Gb phone..... about right.

Most of the files in My Files are system files and should remain on the device storage

Suggest you shut down the phone remove the battery for a couple of minutes and then reboot. It will sort and reorder apps. You will not lose any data or accounts.

Also if you are on KitKat, that in itself limits a lot of what can be run and read from the external SD Card
    SM-N910F 4.4.4 stock
    I-9500 4.4.2 rooted and cleaned.
    SM-P605 4.4.2 rooted and cleaned(twrp)
    Banned

Default Re: Smart Phone sd card newbie problems

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bramhall View Post
    I just got the galaxy s4 a few months ago as my first smart phone. I bought a 64 gb sd card, and I have transferred everything I can to the card from the device storage - all of my apps I have moved over, as well as everything on the "my files" app. Even though I have moved over everything that I can think of, my device storage says that there is only 2 gb of free space on my device, and my phone is still being kind of glitchy and slow. What am I missing? What else can I transfer to my sd card to free up space? Do apps take up space on my device storage even if they are stored in my sd card?

Posted via Android Central App
    Well, firstly tell me what else you have transferred over your the SD card ? I would say if you are trying to free up the space try moving the music files, videos, images over to the SD card. And yes as its S4 you might be running kitkat means you can't transfer apps to SD card. I would say that's it you can't move any more of the files.