ISIS Wallet

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
My anti virus software detected a threat in an app called ISIS Wallet. I tried to uninstall but this is apparently a stock app and it won't let me. Problem is, the app doesn't show up anywhere in my application manager to allow me to disable it. Does anyone know what this app is and how I can deal with this potential threat?

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's a stock app put on by the carrier. ISIS wallet is their competing app to Google Wallet and is being promoted because they're major stakeholders in the project. It's not a virus - out of curiosity, what is your app saying is the threat specifically?

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm using AVG Antivirus. It automatically scans my device once a week and reports any issue. Pretty sweet app, give it a shot. It also scans everything immediately after you download.

Do you know why the ISIS Wallet app does not show up under 'application manager'?

Posted via Android Central App

Shawn Kerr

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with my phone. AVG tells me this potential threat is "Potentially unwanted program", which is exactly what it is. I did find Isis wallet in application manager and turned it off months ago, although last I checked there was something in the cache and I cleared it again. Is there really no way to remove bloatware crap without rooting?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue with my phone. AVG tells me this potential threat is "Potentially unwanted program", ?

AKA "pups"---MalwareBytes usually does this for software that seems to do some snarky things (often associated with advertising), but are not clearly deemed to be malicious. In other words, MB isn't sure and doesn't actually know the program, but deems it suspicious. Lately, many AV makers, including them, have become stricter in flagging PUPS, feeling they are more annoying than appropriate and may be problematic as well. That, however, creates some issues--namely, false positives.

Some of their criteria for "PUP" are fairly simple and not all that scary; there may be good reasons for them. Here are some of the criteria listed on MB's website for PUP id. Some, like "the liberal use of recommended," may flag you as a PUP, probably along with other things, but that is hardly a scary program. "No uninstall procedure"--well, that defines all system apps. Hopefully they use more than one criterion in flagging it as a PUP. Here are some of the criteria:

"=Pre-populated checkboxes
=Are all the options in your application pre-populated, effectively requiring the user to manually opt-out of options?
=The liberal use of "Recommended" next to an option radio button or checkbox
=Programs that do not have a standard uninstall procedure
=Programs that have no uninstall procedure
=Programs that use non-standard install locations
=Browser add-ons that do not show up in the add-on manager
=Browser add-ons that install across multiple browsers"

Some of this is subject to debate and expanding things to every possible PUP can create alarm that is unnecessary. As one game creator said on their website blog:

"The problem with PUP detections is that it creates false positives. My several attempt to fix the issues with the PUPs 'detected' by my jigsaw puzzles ... have been met with only generic push-button responses from MalwareBytes. ...Other software creators have this issue too, from what I've read online. In my case each jigsaw puzzle is treated as a separate program, and because a million people aren't using it, MalwareBytes hasn't taken the time to verify that it indeed doesn't do anything harmful. The puzzles don't download themselves; my visitors have to click on a link then confirm they want to download and run the puzzle. I've had TotalVirus.com scan both my website and individual puzzles, and MalwareBytes is the only one that squawks about them, and it never gives a logical reason for flagging the puzzles."

The other problem of course is that it is hard for average users when encountering PUPS to actually know if it is a potential issue or just a very broad "positive" that means nothing. I clean them all if in the .tmp folder of my desktop. Eliminating .tmp files can't hurt anything and may help. Beyond that, I am sometimes puzzled as to what to do and the nature of a PUP id by an AV or malware program is that it doesn't really provide much useful advice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12