Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Unhappy Galaxy S4 overheating at logo screen

Hi,

Iv'e had this phone for only 3 days now and today it just shut down in my pocket. When I took it out it was quite hot. I restarted it but after a couple minutes it shut down again.

Now it is just stuck on the boot logo of Samsung. And the problem is that the longer it stays stuck on this screen the phone keeps on overheating. I mean really really hot.

I have to pull the battery for it to cool down. When phone is off and a charger is connected even then it will start to heat up.

It wont even enter recovery mode.

I've only just bought this phone (No warranty from seller). Has my galaxy already gone kaput? say it isnt so

Default Re: Galaxy S4 overheating at logo screen

Welcome to Android Central! So is it a used phone, or a refurbished phone? The first thing to try is a new battery, since the current one might be failing. If that doesn't work, try removing the SD card, since a corrupt card can cause various issues.

You can also try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, I'll be on vacation from 7/27 to 8/13, with only intermittent web access. So if you don't see me around much, don't worry, I didn't defect to another site or anything like that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! So is it a used phone, or a refurbished phone? The first thing to try is a new battery, since the current one might be failing. If that doesn't work, try removing the SD card, since a corrupt card can cause various issues.

You can also try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition:
    Thank you.

Yes it is a used phone I bought off gumtree. Worked perfectly for 2 days though. I have removed the SD Card and SIM, but still have the same problem.

Also it is not going into recovery mode. When I press the combination (Vol Up + Menu key + Power) I get the message on the top left "booting recovery" and then it stays there and keeps heating up.

Do you think I should invest in a new battery?

You don't necessarily have to buy a new battery. If someone else you know has an S4, just ask if you can borrow their battery for a few minutes.

Is the phone rooted, running a custom ROM? That might be why the Recovery Menu isn't showing up like it should. Might also explain why it's behaving oddly. If you're able to, install Root Checker to see.

IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING, I'll be on vacation from 7/27 to 8/13, with only intermittent web access. So if you don't see me around much, don't worry, I didn't defect to another site or anything like that.
    Thanked by: