Macbook not recognizing Galaxy s4

accuracy101

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm aware that this is a relatively popular conundrum on the internet and on these forums. I have went into developer mode and checked USB debugging options - nothing. Tried buying a new usb cable - macbook still won't recognize it. I thought at least buying a new cable might solve the problem of the phone charging unusually slow but nope, still charges painfully slow on top of the computer not recognizing it. Installed the Android file transfer system and it does not recognize the phone either.

There has to be something I'm missing here?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When you connect your phone, there should be a notification on your phone that it is connected. Tap that, and make sure it's set to MTP, not PTP

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Nothing new in the status bar appears when I connect it to the computer. Except for it saying it's charging.

Do you have a Windows PC at home you can connect to and see if it's being recognized there?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not at the moment, unfortunately. The issue could be the computer and not the cable/phone?

Well if it was being recognized on a Windows PC then it would be an issue with the computer. If not, it would be a problem with the phone.
So just to make sure again, you have download AND installed Android File Transfer, plugged in your device and still have no "connected" message in the status bar?

accuracy101

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yep, installed Android File Transfer, tried to open it, and get the message saying "No Android Device Found".

Other usb devices, like my iPhone, connect to the computer with no problem.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yep, installed Android File Transfer, tried to open it, and get the message saying "No Android Device Found".

Other usb devices, like my iPhone, connect to the computer with no problem.

Alright, I need to check it out on my Macbook when I get home. I don't remember exactly how it was that I set it up.

accuracy101

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Eh, I heard bad things about Kies. I think I'm just going to try to get my hands on a new samsung charger and see if that fixes it. Pretty stupid that Samsung is so picky about the charger.

accuracy101

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

So I've ruled out the possibility that it is the cord. I've tried four different ones and my computer still doesn't pick recognize the phone. I've tried downloading Kies but it doesn't recognize anything in the USB either. I had a friend connect her Note 3 to my Mac with my same cord and the computer recognized it with no problem.

This doesn't make any sense. I guess it has something to do with my phone? Please help.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Bump. Anybody...?

Sorry for the late reply. I've been pretty busy over the past few days...
Anyway, have you tried connecting the device on any other laptops or desktops to see if it's connecting to those? If it's not, then it is likely an issue with your phone.

Last edited: