Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Macbook not recognizing Galaxy s4

I'm aware that this is a relatively popular conundrum on the internet and on these forums. I have went into developer mode and checked USB debugging options - nothing. Tried buying a new usb cable - macbook still won't recognize it. I thought at least buying a new cable might solve the problem of the phone charging unusually slow but nope, still charges painfully slow on top of the computer not recognizing it. Installed the Android file transfer system and it does not recognize the phone either.

There has to be something I'm missing here?

Default Re: Macbook not recognizing Galaxy s4

When you connect your phone, there should be a notification on your phone that it is connected. Tap that, and make sure it's set to MTP, not PTP
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't see any notification saying that it is connected :/

Quote Originally Posted by accuracy101 View Post
    I don't see any notification saying that it is connected :/
    Is there anything in the status bar?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Is there anything in the status bar?

Nothing new in the status bar appears when I connect it to the computer. Except for it saying it's charging.

Nothing new in the status bar appears when I connect it to the computer. Except for it saying it's charging.
    Do you have a Windows PC at home you can connect to and see if it's being recognized there?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Not at the moment, unfortunately. The issue could be the computer and not the cable/phone?

Not at the moment, unfortunately. The issue could be the computer and not the cable/phone?
    Well if it was being recognized on a Windows PC then it would be an issue with the computer. If not, it would be a problem with the phone.
    So just to make sure again, you have download AND installed Android File Transfer, plugged in your device and still have no "connected" message in the status bar?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yep, installed Android File Transfer, tried to open it, and get the message saying "No Android Device Found".

Other usb devices, like my iPhone, connect to the computer with no problem.

Yep, installed Android File Transfer, tried to open it, and get the message saying "No Android Device Found".

Other usb devices, like my iPhone, connect to the computer with no problem.
    Alright, I need to check it out on my Macbook when I get home. I don't remember exactly how it was that I set it up.

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks, let me know

download Kies from Samsung website. install it on mac. should work. did for me on my iMac when I had the S4 and Note 3
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 6+, Nokia 1520, 2014 Moto X, iPhone 6+, Note 4..
    Currently using 64GB Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge & iPhone 6 64GB on AT&T
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Eh, I heard bad things about Kies. I think I'm just going to try to get my hands on a new samsung charger and see if that fixes it. Pretty stupid that Samsung is so picky about the charger.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

UPDATE:

So I've ruled out the possibility that it is the cord. I've tried four different ones and my computer still doesn't pick recognize the phone. I've tried downloading Kies but it doesn't recognize anything in the USB either. I had a friend connect her Note 3 to my Mac with my same cord and the computer recognized it with no problem.

This doesn't make any sense. I guess it has something to do with my phone? Please help.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Bump. Anybody...?

Bump. Anybody...?
    Sorry for the late reply. I've been pretty busy over the past few days...
    Anyway, have you tried connecting the device on any other laptops or desktops to see if it's connecting to those? If it's not, then it is likely an issue with your phone.

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Assuming it is an issue with my phone, what could the issue possibly be?

Assuming it is an issue with my phone, what could the issue possibly be?
    Maybe something in the port interfering with the connection. No issues charging the device?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

It charges VERY slowly. Within an hour, it will only charge from 1% to 16%.

It charges VERY slowly. Within an hour, it will only charge from 1% to 16%.
    Ouch. Sounds like an issue with the USB port then. Have you tried cleaning it out with something like a compressed air can?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

From the phone? I could try that.
    I do get a notification on my phone along the lines of "for faster charging, use the cable that came with the device". whenever I connect it via mac. So i thought it was for sure the cable that was the root of all my issues, but I guess not.

From the phone? I could try that.
    I do get a notification on my phone along the lines of "for faster charging, use the cable that came with the device". whenever I connect it via mac. So i thought it was for sure the cable that was the root of all my issues, but I guess not.
    So you're not using the stock cable? That can be an issues as well. Do you still have that at your disposal?

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

No but as mentioned earlier, I've tried four different cables (one of which was supposedly the a stock cable ), but my mac wasn't recognize any of them. I'll try to plug it into a PC later tonight and see if that helps.

No but as mentioned earlier, I've tried four different cables (one of which was supposedly the a stock cable ), but my mac wasn't recognize any of them. I'll try to plug it into a PC later tonight and see if that helps.
    Alright. Like I said, if it's not the cables it'll likely be something with the USB port. I've had to clean mine out because of slow charging in the past.

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I've tried connecting it to PC and it didn't recognize it either. I download Kies on PC and it recognize it but it said that the phone wasn't supported. I suppose it has to be a problem with the phone. I had the phone flashed from 4G to 3G, maybe that has something to do with it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast