When is Location uploaded to Google?

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have "Location" enabled in my Galaxy S4, so I can see where I've been in the past. But sometimes there are inexplicable gaps in the data. I'm wondering when my location is reported to Google.

Clearly, location has to be enabled, and it is. I rarely change this. I mostly have one of WiFi/Mobile Data enabled, but not always. Is the location cached if there is no network available, or is it just discarded?

Yes, I know I could experiment, but that would only show me how my phone is actually behaving... there may be settings that affect this (settings which I don't know about).

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
yes, your last location should be cached on your map app, so that the next time you check your device you will be able to see where you were last. Gaps will appear, if you are connected to the internet but in a location where GPS is hindered, works best in open areas. so make sure you are in an open area where the network wont be blocked. Some devices have an automatic location update, others need manual update and some have timed location updates, S4 should be automated. you can also check for updates for your map and navigator, maybe its what causes glitches.

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing as above. It's likely due to a gap in the gps coverage area.

Yes, there will almost certainly be gaps in the GPS coverage, as most of the time our journeys are in our motorhome, with the phone in my pocket, or worse, in the small storage space in the dashboard just below the radio/CD player. The motorhome has a bed over the cab, which protrudes over the front of the cab, further sheltering us from GPS signals.

Maybe I'll have to get into the habit of stopping at the side of the road, jumping out of the vehicle, and running around a bit - just to keep the GPS happy!

Or maybe I should put my phone in one of the compartments on top of the dashboard, where it would get the same level of GPS signal as our Garmin GPS, which never loses the GPS signal. The Garmin probably has a more sensitive antenna though, as it's in a large device (7" Display).

AndroidProf

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
when your GPS is on, there should be an icon that shows you your GPS is on, mostly on the notification area at the top. For most devices, the icon would be a "green satellite dish". Now, when its blinking, it means that its not yet connected to GPS, you will have to wait until it stops blinking, then update your location that's for mobile devices.

Garmin should work anywhere!!Its a pro GPS device, its made specifically for GPS and navigation. At some places you'll have to stop, say like in a forest, you'll need a clearing where the sky is open. Though in some places, the locations have not been updated, so you can use the closest landmark on the map to mark those places. The most important thing is clear area where you can see sky, it plays a bigger role here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay