I'll Never Buy a KNOX phone Again

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It seems that Samsung is loosing market share and part of the reason is KNOX.

KNOX flies in the face of a principle benefit of Android - custom ROMs and rooting.

Android needs a way to backup Apps and App data without Rooting. That's a main reason that many want to Root. Android is famous for allowing custom ROMs. None of this is compatible with KNOX.

Its fine if they put KNOX on corporate phones, but suicide putting it on personal phones.

Next time my contract comes up for renewal, I'll be looking for something without KNOX.

Why don't phone vendors and carriers just make their skins into Apps that can be installed just like any other launcher. Custom coding a skin tends to make it hard to port updates to Android and gives performance degradation.

Seems like a simple solution.

What I would like to see is a Moto X with a removable battery and a MicroSD card.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Umm... you CAN root phones with Knox. You just can't bypass the flash count trigger. And you can always get a 'Developer Edition' phone if you'd like.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Umm... you CAN root phones with Knox. You just can't bypass the flash count trigger. And you can always get a 'Developer Edition' phone if you'd like.

Neither of those alternatives is what I'm looking for. Now I'm looking for a subsidized phone. I may just go the Moto root and switch to T-Mobile in the future.

Voiding a warranty in order to Root or use customs ROMs is not something the average consumer is interested in.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually the average consumer doesn't root or mess around with ROMs. But it seems that this device line is just not for you. Well, guess what? Another thing Android is known for: CHOICES! Pick one you like that doesn't trip with root (just FYI, all rooted phones' warranty is essentially void. Difference is you can just unroot should you ever need it in most cases).

If that were something that the average user would want, we'd have more Developer Edition devices out there.

ellisroy

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Side note: your warranty is voided only on software issues. Hardware problems are covered. Force your carrier to honor this.

Posted via the Android Central App

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually the average consumer doesn't root or mess around with ROMs. But it seems that this device line is just not for you. Well, guess what? Another thing Android is known for: CHOICES! Pick one you like that doesn't trip with root (just FYI, all rooted phones' warranty is essentially void. Difference is you can just unroot should you ever need it in most cases).

If that were something that the average user would want, we'd have more Developer Edition devices out there.

Very true. This is more a warning to Samsung. I've been with their phones for a while. If they don't change their ways, I and many others will go elsewhere.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
LOL you,r so wrong rooting does not trip know and I heard carriers can reset it and Samsung don't care about 0x1. And there's a lot of rooters but I agree having a nexus makes it easier then if you have a Samsung ;) on nexus you can just unroot and reset tamper flag.
Really? I thought it did. Huh.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, see? You do have ways of rooting your Knox-protected phone without tripping it. The fact that it takes a while and a lot of effort just goes to prove it really is a good alternative for security-concerned companies and individuals.

Jackson Muthili

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Very true. This is more a warning to Samsung. I've been with their phones for a while. If they don't change their ways, I and many others will go elsewhere.

You are funny. You and many others are like 0.000001% of a client category that Samsung will not mind losing. Most manufacturers do not like tinkerers like you, for your information.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer