Why can't I move files to an SD card?

rugrln

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Cannot move files to SD card

I'm on the latest firmware available for my phone, Android KitKat 4.4.2, and cannot move any files to the SD card. I've tried both the My Files app as well as ES File Explorer. Moving a folder of camera pictures for example often fails after transferring a few pictures. I've tried two different SD cards and the same problem exists. I've even tried to do the move using my laptop over a USB cable and still nothing works. This is so frustrating because I'm running out of space even though I don't really have that many apps installed (~90) or pictures (~1.7 Gb) compared to on my S3 where I had way more apps installed and didn't have this space issue.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cannot move files to SD card

It's a new KitKat thing. You'll have to use your computer to put files on the external storage.

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

I'm on the latest firmware available for my phone, Android KitKat 4.4.2, and cannot move any files to the SD card. I've tried both the My Files app as well as ES File Explorer. Moving a folder of camera pictures for example often fails after transferring a few pictures. I've tried two different SD cards and the same problem exists. I've even tried to do the move using my laptop over a USB cable and still nothing works. This is so frustrating because I'm running out of space even though I don't really have that many apps installed (~90) or pictures (~1.7 Gb) compared to on my S3 where I had way more apps installed and didn't have this space issue.
Just root the phone and fix the issue in 5sec with app from Play Store or via Xposed module.

It's due to new crappy permissions that Google has introduced since Kitkat to force us from having a nice external SD card experience, and therefore force us to use their cloud instead. But of course Google claim it's for safety and for our best!..... Hehe pretty laughable statement!

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm running the latest version (1.17.0.47) of File Manager from Cheetah Mobile (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.rhmsoft.fm&hl=en&token=Cg7eoTbp) on my S4.
It allows me to copy/move files as follows:
1) internal memory <=> external SD card
2) external SD card <=> cloud storage (Dropbox)

It allows me to copy/move folders as follows:
1) internal memory => external SD card but not the reverse
2) cloud storage (Dropbox) => external SD card but not the reverse

Also, it will:
1) allow me to delete files on external SD card
2) NOT allow me to rename files on external SD card
3) allow me to create a new folder directly on external SD card
4) NOT allow me to rename or delete folders on external SD card

Oddly, the tablet version of this app, File Manager HD (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.rhmsoft.fm.hd&hl=en&token=ip_Pu0lw), does NOT allow these functions on my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 which is also running KitKat 4.4.2. On that device, I have to use My Files. Go figure.