S4 randomly losing signal and turns off. How do I fix?

Raj G1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy S4 has started losing signal randomly and usually turns off right after.
It seems to turn off just under small amount of stress too.

The phone has been fine up until last week, I tried a factory reset and the probably still exists.
It is running 4.4.2 Android, but I'm sure the os isn't the problem as I've been running it for a while now with no problems.

I did some research and I managed to find another person with the same problem, this person managed to find a way to get it going temporarily till the next time it randomly loses signal or switches off, and that was just by plugging it in the charger.
I tried mine on the charger while it had no signal and it started working again for a bit till it lost signal again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would discuss this with your wireless provider--perhaps they will give you a replacement SIM card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How can you tell you lose the wi-fi reception? Does the wi-fi indicator turn off as well? The other signals you mention all have to do with the SIM card.

Raj G1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
It loses signal on all, all icons remove and are replaced with the no reception crossed out circle. Sometimes the wifi, works sometimes it all stops. It's a bit odd that it seems to solve temporarily just by plugging in the charger. Could it be battery related?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps there are some loose connections within the phone. Have you noticed if the signal drops out with certain positions or sudden impact of the phone? Can you restore it by squeezing it or repositioning it?

Raj G1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps there are some loose connections within the phone. Have you noticed if the signal drops out with certain positions or sudden impact of the phone? Can you restore it by squeezing it or repositioning it?

Doesn't seem to reproduce or fix the problem by squeezing the phone or repositioning. I contacted Samsung and they told me to send it through to them for a assessment.

Sometimes just restarting the phone would temporarily fix it.
Earlier I had my phone fully charged with the charger still plugged in, I took the charger out and it restarted and showed 89%, could be a battery problem I'm thinking.

Raj G1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Phone seems to boot in safe mode sometimes now.

Battery doesn't seem to sit flush, it is lifted up slightly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20