unlocked boot loader Samsung s4 on Verizon was my best choice

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I bought an unlocked s4 with an unlocked boot loader because I thought this was my best choice to keep my unlimited data plan on Verizon. I looked at the other phones like the G3(overheating problems), HTC ONE M8(non removable battery), Moto X(battery too small on new and old model, plus crappy camera), galaxy s5 note 3 & 4( all too expensive and locked down), Nexus 6( too expensive and big!)I looked at many video comparisons and the s4 keeps up with all of them. I will be running a custom ROM which sweetens the deal. Thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I bought an unlocked s4 with an unlocked boot loader because I thought this was my best choice to keep my unlimited data plan on Verizon. I looked at the other phones like the G3(overheating problems), HTC ONE M8(non removable battery), Moto X(battery too small on new and old model, plus crappy camera), galaxy s5 note 3 & 4( all too expensive and locked down), Nexus 6( too expensive and big!)I looked at many video comparisons and the s4 keeps up with all of them. I will be running a custom ROM which sweetens the deal. Thoughts?

Posted via Android Central App
My developer edition S4 (I assume that is what you bought) has been great. I got it for the same reason. UDP preservation and Verizon network coverage while still being able to flash roms, kernels etc. Using TWRP recovery& currently running Hyper Drive rls 19 rom.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
My developer edition S4 (I assume that is what you bought) has been great. I got it for the same reason. UDP preservation and Verizon network coverage while still being able to flash roms, kernels etc. Using TWRP recovery& currently running Hyper Drive rls 19 rom.
It isn't a developer edition, but it's got the unlocked boot loader and can be used on any network too, so it's might as well be.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
It isn't a developer edition, but it's got the unlocked boot loader and can be used on any network too, so it's might as well be.
You may have a "carrier" sim unlocked phone. But unless you have the Dev edition, you do not have an unlocked bootloader. If your build version is MDK there's a workaround exploit called Loki that can still work. Download samsung "Phone Info" from the playstore. It will tell you exactly what bootloader version you have. Report back, & we'll proceed from there.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
You may have a "carrier" sim unlocked phone. But unless you have the Dev edition, you do not have an unlocked bootloader. If your build version is MDK there's a workaround exploit called Loki that can still work. Download samsung "Phone Info" from the playstore. It will tell you exactly what bootloader version you have. Report back, & we'll proceed from there.
Thanks, the phone I'm getting has TWRP installed already and has a the MDK bootloader unlocked. I was told that I can flash any ROM that I choose.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, the phone I'm getting has TWRP installed already and has a the MDK bootloader unlocked. I was told that I can flash any ROM that I choose.
Congratulations! You are a very lucky peep to snag one of those already lokied and all. Over on xda forums is a wealth of info about roms & mods for this device. I also highly recommend the app "Rom Installer". It has info and links to some excellent roms. And don't forget Titanium Backup Root.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations! You are a very lucky peep to snag one of those already lokied and all. Over on xda forums is a wealth of info about roms & mods for this device. I also highly recommend the app "Rom Installer". It has info and links to some excellent roms. And don't forget Titanium Backup Root.

Oh yeah, I already have titanium backup and have been using custom ROMS since having the original Droid. I have never ran any of my previous phones stock: Original Droid, Droid X , Galaxy Nexus and Droid RAZR M.

Galaxy S4!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781