On my Galaxy S4 , why can't I hear anyone and no one can hear me on calls?

courtney_raye

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Galaxy S4 - I can't hear anyone and no one can hear me on calls!

Hello!

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 on ebay.com and I've been having some issues. In order to get my apps to carry over, I rooted my device, got my stuff and then got rid of the root. I am running on android version 4.4.2.

My main concern is that when I make calls and receive them, no one can hear me talk and I can't hear anyone else talk. When making a call I also don't hear a dial tone. Yes my volume is all the way up and no I don't have anything muted. I have tried multiple things such as disabling Google Drive (which multiple people said works), playing with connections, and so on. I just got all of my stuff loaded onto the phone and I really don't wish to factory reset. I'm hoping that's not the only option.

One thing I've found is that my calling works through Wi-Fi calling. That's great but when I'm not home that's not very helpful. Although it rules out what others have said about cleaning out the microphone.

Does anyone have any solutions or advice?
Anything would be appreciated!

jza95

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 - I can't hear anyone and no one can hear me on calls!

It's a Google Now update that screwed up. The Ok Google search from any screen is turned on by default. From the home screen, hold down the menu button which should go into Google Now. Click on menu button again and select settings. Select "VOICE." Then select "Ok Google" detection. Once there, switch off the option "From any Screen." Once that is turned off. Restart phone and everything should work fine.

Gracy Zar

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much... I did try to follow the step that you give to solve the problem... At first this step help me and my phone work but I don't know what the reason is,, my phone start to mess up again... so I try to do the same thing as i did before from your help step but unluckily,,,,,,,,, it doesn't work anymore.... :'( :'( :'( help me out again,, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
What steps have you taken to try and correct it?
Did you review the link i noted above entitled "No Sound on Phone Calls after using Bluetooth"?

Colin Ancel

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I followed those steps, and the "From any page" selection is already Off. I've tried restarting my phone and just shutting it down and turning it back on. Nothing.

I can hear other things like music and when it rings for me, but I can't hear any dialing or people talking on the other line. :-\

Nachelle505

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Mic works for voice recording and other things but when i try to make or receive calls i hear nothing not even ringing. Did anyone ever find a fix?

thea1957

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you SO MUCH!! It worked. ButI am frustrated that I can't use "OK Google" AND answer phone calls....not a great recommendation for Google on Android Galaxy S$. I know the phone is old but I never want to change because I can schedule texts on this one an not later models.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 - I can't hear anyone and no one can hear me on calls!

When my S4 was upgraded to Lollipop om AT&T my problem disappeared. So, I can currently use "OK Google".

Roger Lock-Hage

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you jza95. I followed your instructions by turning off a any screen fro. Google now, I also turned off everything else in google now. Restarted my phone and so far it's working. I was able to listen to my voice messages. Thanks again.

AnnDav

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't do a lot of the things you suggested as my S4 must be a bit different . But I turned the phone off completely as you suggested and re-started - and it worked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20