How to recover Internal Phone Storage from (stock) Bootlooping Samsung Galaxy S4?

turkey-buzzard

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm working to recover data that is stored in Internal Phone Storage (not SD card) of a stock Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 that is stuck in bootlooping. I can boot to the stock recovery mode and have wiped the cache, but I have not wiped the User Data/Factory Reset because my understanding is that would wipe the data I'm trying to recover.

I have loaded ADB and the USB driver on my PC and can get into sideload mode through the stock recovery mode but the S4 does not have USB Debugging turned on so I don't see a way to pull the files to the PC. I'd be in good shape if I could fix the bootlooping problem OR pull the files through an alternate boot-mode. I'm done with the phone so I don't care what state I leave it in as long as I can get the files out of Internal Phone Storage.

Thanks for any thoughts ...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Take a trip to a Verizon store that has a repair shop in the back. See if they have a software tool that can do what you need. (Using a JTAG device would do it, and it wouldn't damage anything on the phone, but a good JTAG costs about as much as a mid-line phone, and takes a lot of practice to use correctly.)

turkey-buzzard

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Rukbat -- I took the S4 into the Verizon store and they were unable to help. The service guy did suggest that I might want to focus on solving the bootlooping problem as a prerequisite to retrieving the data. So, regarding the bootlooping I've tried to boot in protected-mode with no success. What do you think my next step should be? Can I flash the stock ROM (with a custom or stock ROM) with some expectation of resolving the bootlooping problem? Do I do that with Odin?

Thanks for any advice ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781