S4 - No touch with display assembly replacement

ivanvector

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a problem with a repair on my fiancée's SGS4 (SGH-i337). She dropped it and cracked the glass some time ago but the phone was working fine afterwards, until it developed the known issue with the USB port not charging the battery. I bought the part to fix that and decided I'd attempt to replace the glass at the same time, with a glass replacement kit, and I royally botched it - the display is destroyed but the phone is not damaged otherwise, that I can see.

To fix it I bought a new LCD/digitizer assembly off eBay. With the new unit, the phone turns on, vibrates, the notification LED flashes, it boots up fine and the front buttons work (and USB charging works :cool:), but it does not respond to touch at all. Later I noticed that there's a few lines of the bottom of the notification bar repeated at the top of the screen but shifted a half inch or so to the left. I can't get past the lock screen to test anything else. I've re-checked the connections about a dozen times now, and other than a bad replacement I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be. Unfortunately the old screen assembly is completely destroyed and useless for testing. I can probably return the replacement but I want to make sure I haven't missed something, or something else in the phone is damaged so that another digitizer replacement won't fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There re so many possibilities that I'll only lost a few broadly general ones - like you broke a pin on the connector, you broke something on the motherboard, you had a pinched cable that burned something out on the motherboard, the screen is defective, you damaged the screen when handling it ...

This is why i recommend that, unless you've had cellphone repair experience, you shouldn't do internal repairs yourself - it's cheaper to have a shop do it.

Now you have to find a shop willing to work on a phone you've broken inside somehow. That means finding everything that you could have done, which will probably take days (and you'll pay for hourly) - because if you get the phone back with a working screen and they missed something that shows up a few days later, you'll blame them for it and insist that they caused the problem.

Assuming that you're willing to pay for the analysis (which could cost about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new phone), you'll then have to pay for whatever repairs they have to do.

It would have been much cheaper for you to have brought it in and had them replace the glass and the microUSB board. (Replacing the glass without replacing the screen is easy, once you've broken half a dozen of them learning how to do it right - which is what a technician in a good shop has to do before he''s allowed to work on a customer's phone.)

Robert Ormerod

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
i have the same exacy phone with the same issue display broken. well i also bought a display from ebay. i will tell you, i am a dveloper, refurbisher of smartphones and your problem lies in an aftermarket display. the only authorized oem display digitizer assembly dealer is a company called ETRADE SUPPLY out of texas and also in china. this company sells all oem parts and they are sure to work great. i have two years of buying from them. i just this week picked up a display assembly oem i337 att model screen and it was 114.00 with various shipping options. i recommend this highly. also the sxcreens from ebay dont meet the DPI/nor the hd,nor the pixel strength. i hope this helps

Robert Ormerod

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
also the comment you got prior to mine is a person trying to scare you. you are aware how simple it was to replace so imagine if it was the oem part it would be a problem in the past, dont give up take my advice, also ebay will insure the refund return if the display is a knock off , the copyright laws dont allow production of any type of aftermarket items labeled as samsung. and i have had to get things honored and ebay will promptly get you refund based on a knock off/ counterfiet item as i said SAMSUNG is not licencing anyone to produce junk displays for the use in the handset the hold as the best. GOD SPEED.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana