Why don't my S4 thumbnails match my gallery photos?

Cheryl Timms

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
s4 thumbnails do not match gallery photos

I took photos on my phone and when I went to look in the gallery the thumbnails were different but the photos were all the same.

I rang Samsung and they helped me move the photos across to my sd card and it looked like it had possibly sorted them problem until I went back into the gallery and the problem popped itself again before I had chance to upload the correct images to my cloud.

I rang Samsung back up and they suggested to do a factory reset to see if the problem rectified itself. But it didn't and they suggest sending it away.

In which I really do not want to do.

It possibly looks like I have a corrupt picture that has effected the remaining ones that I took in that period.

Does anyone know if I can get the thumbnail pictures instead of the corrupt image.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: s4 thumbnails do not match gallery photos

First, since you did a factory reset, there's nothing to "get" on the phone itself - a factory reset wipes it clean of downloaded apps, pictures, personal information, etc.

Second, Settings/General/Application manager. Find Gallery and press it. Press the Clear Cache button. Turn the phone off. Turn it on. Look at Gallery again. See if you can see the pictures you have on the SD card (with the proper thumbnails.)

If the Gallery cache gets corrupted, it'll cause problems. That's temporary storage that you can clear any time the app isn't running without losing anything. (You can clear any app's cache - the files are there to speed up loading the next time you run the app, and they frequently get corrupted. It's a bad idea - apps should clear their cache if you close them.)

rachel falcon

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
So I got this problem too. DON'T DO A FACTORY RESET. I just plugged my phone in to my PC and transferred the seemingly corrupted photo files to where I store my photos, and they all transferred as the correct files, ya know, the ones the thumbnails showed. After I did that, I tried moving them to my phones separate SD card and clearing the cache and restarting my phone, but that didn't fix them on my phone, but the ones that went to my computer were as they should be. Also, the problem seemed to have stopped later that day,as I had several uncorrupted files after that, I noticed the problem and then took other pictures later just to see, and then transferred/fixed them later. So the files only seemed corrupted when on my phone, regardless of storage location.