Why won't my S4 Bluetooth in the car talk to me?

jlgreenlee

May 29, 2011
greenleegazette.blogspot.com
S4 Bluetooth in Car Won't Talk to Me

What I'm trying to do is fairly simple. We're preparing for a 2000-mile relocation in two cars, and I want it to be as simple as possible for each of us to use bluetooth to connect to our cars stereos, so that we can communicate between cars. I have a Pioneer touch screen head unit in my car, and it's already set up. I'm a clumsy but avid techie, so on that end we're cool, I've used it ever since I've had it.

However, the spouse is NOT a techie, and in his vehicle (a 2012 Scion xB), we have another Pioneer stereo, Scion-branded, but this one with a three-line LED screen, and rather arcane set-up. I've got the phone hooked up, I managed (after much frustration) to add the address book and history, even a speed dial. But the spouse wants simple voice commands.

Here's my problem: If I press the call button on the stereo, it activates S Voice on the phone (after a several-second delay), but doesn't make a sound. It doesn't indicate that it's ready to take commands, and it doesn't read out any message verbally at all, through either the phone or the speakers. If I say, "call Andrew," the phone's screen may give further questions (call mobile/home/other, or list multiple Andrews to choose from), but there is no indication through the stereo that anything has even happened. Just silence.

Does this sound like a problem with the S4, the car's unit, or should I use a different app for making this happen?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress