How can I restore sms from an older backup in xml format to my GS4?

keesha2485

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
How can I restore sms from an older backup in xml format to my gs4

I have 6 xml files on my sd card that I can not figure out how to restore. I did the backup of the files im wanting restored on a Verizon Galaxy S4. Some months later I bought another Galaxy S4 from AT&T and since then ive tried anything I was able to find to restore them into my stock messaging app OR have them in plain text format so they are easy to read. Im not advanced enough to attempt messing with the formating nor do I have any idea what I am looking at. I believe I used Gcloud to back them up originally but the files I have now are not the gcloud version they may have once been. If anyone is willing to help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Please be mindful that I dont have a very good grasp on how this all works and I apologize in advance for all the questions im sure I will have. Thanks!

FYI....I have unlocked and rooted my phone even though Im not sure of the potential it has given my phone.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I restore sms from an older backup in xml format to my gs4

What did you back them up with? The same app should be able to restore them.

(Depending on the format [xml is the file type - it can be used to create any format], SMS Backup & Restore might be able to restore the xml files you have. Or spend half an hour learning how to read xml files [it's trivial - they're human-readable], then edit them to be readable by the app. [Edit backups, of course - if you really mess the file up, you don't want it to be your only copy.])

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome