New android user: Halp !! !!

6mackenzie4

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi I got an S4 passed onto moi.
Is there a way I can safely restore it to factory settings (just as officially from Samsung)?
I ask this because when I try to update software, this error shows "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available".
I tried to find a quick fix, but very confused.
I read some stuff on here like Odin, Kies etc; and 'rooting'(is that the Android version of jailbreaking?)
I have no SD card mounted and my Device Status says Custom.
I already did Factory data reset via Settings

I would like a condensed version of steps on how I can restore my S4 to mint condition safely.
I don't know which other info you folks might need so...Please assist!

NEWBEY ANDROID USER

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The custom part is probably the fact that is has been rooted. You can undo the root by flashing a stock ROM with Odin.

I do have a couple counter questions for you:
1. Do you know/trust the person who gave you the phone?
2. Is there a specific reason you need to get rid of the custom status?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps your uncle has already updated the s4 to the latest version of kitkat. That should be 4.4.2. Or do you have a custom rom on it? Then you will have to flash the original latest rom via odin. It would still likely be showing "custom"

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Possible. The OP has a couple options, though. Flashing a stock ROM with Odin is one. But if it is rooted with a custom recovery, they can flash a custom ROM as well.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You have 4.2.2 installed, so it should be able to reset the knox counter/custom with trangle away app the paid version. That should theoretically allow you to receive updates if any are forthcoming. But as golfdriver asks, what do want to do?

6mackenzie4

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
There is so much jargon I do not understand :'( I think that's the main issue in this conversation here
When I try to update software through Settings 'Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available' pops up!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There is so much jargon I do not understand :'( I think that's the main issue in this conversation here
When I try to update software through Settings 'Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available' pops up!
The last part is because it has been rooted. The device can see the root files that are added and stop the OTA update.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, let's clear some jargon:
Root is the most privileged level Gor your phone.
Flashing ROMs is like writing a different OS to your phone.
Recovery is a different partition that you can boot into to do some special and basic tasks that you can't do normally.

If I missed any, let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 5

6mackenzie4

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
OK I visited samsung-Updates and entered my Device: Galaxy S 4 (Snapdragon) GT-9505.
There are so many... which is the right one must I download? :eek:
I can't find i9505XXUAME2

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
OK I visited samsung-Updates and entered my Device: Galaxy S 4 (Snapdragon) GT-9505.
There are so many... which is the right one must I download? :eek:
I can't find i9505XXUAME2

In SamMobile also enter your country that will give you the correct (latest) for your region. You will have to create an SamMobile account before you can download.
Be advised that if you see 4.4.x available fix the triangle away first. After 4.4.x it can no longer be applied.

6mackenzie4

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
In SamMobile also enter your country that will give you the correct (latest) for your region. You will have to create an SamMobile account before you can download.
Be advised that if you see 4.4.x available fix the triangle away first. After 4.4.x it can no longer be applied.
Ok, now I am on sammobile and made account like you said. Just to make sure, am I searching 'Check your firmware' or Firmware database? && What 4.4.x Triangles? I do not see ...

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It is in "check your firmware"

The 4.4.x refers to the os build number. You currently on 4.2.2 from your Screenshot.

The custom waring can be removed using an app called" triangle away' which will not work if you upgrade to 4.4.? and then try to remove "custom"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith