Samsung Galaxy S4 won't charge, will get extremely hot, and has become a USB killswitch

Makishanuto

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
In the lovely place of Arizona, something rare occured:
It rained.
And behold my "intelligence", I decided to use my phone in the rain.
Not a very good decision.

Upon arriving to my humble adobe, I plugged it into the charger. Naturally, it worked. The phone was at a relatively low percentage, so I let it be. Soon, 3 hours had passed. I return to find my phone has stopped charging at 70%, and is rather warm. I attempted to replug the charger, and switch cables but to no avail.

I left the phone plugged in, and by the time I had returned I could've sworn the darn thing was hot enough to cook eggs. If I left it on there for any longer, I wouldn't have been surprised if the damn house burned down because of it. I didn't leave it in that darn thing for more than 30 minutes. Naturally, being the "genius" I am, I plugged it into my computer.

I had made a fascinating discovery. Upon plugging in my S4, it actually TURNS OFF THE COMPUTER. Not gently, like hitting the shut down button while stroking the computer and leaving to get some tea, only to discover that it still hadn't turned off yet. No, I meant ripping your power cable out with the force of 15,000 gorillas on 15 cans of Mountain Dew free falling down to Tartarus. I attempted this on several computers, and it crashed ALL OF them.

Gorilla Glass? More like Gorilla USB.

Do I have to replace the USB board or do I have to replace the battery on my S4? It is a year and a half old and is the model SCH-i545, Verizon Wireless model.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
In the lovely place of Arizona, something rare occured:
It rained.
And behold my "intelligence", I decided to use my phone in the rain.
Not a very good decision.

Upon arriving to my humble adobe, I plugged it into the charger. Naturally, it worked. The phone was at a relatively low percentage, so I let it be. Soon, 3 hours had passed. I return to find my phone has stopped charging at 70%, and is rather warm. I attempted to replug the charger, and switch cables but to no avail.

I left the phone plugged in, and by the time I had returned I could've sworn the darn thing was hot enough to cook eggs. If I left it on there for any longer, I wouldn't have been surprised if the damn house burned down because of it. I didn't leave it in that darn thing for more than 30 minutes. Naturally, being the "genius" I am, I plugged it into my computer.

I had made a fascinating discovery. Upon plugging in my S4, it actually TURNS OFF THE COMPUTER. Not gently, like hitting the shut down button while stroking the computer and leaving to get some tea, only to discover that it still hadn't turned off yet. No, I meant ripping your power cable out with the force of 15,000 gorillas on 15 cans of Mountain Dew free falling down to Tartarus. I attempted this on several computers, and it crashed ALL OF them.

Gorilla Glass? More like Gorilla USB.

Do I have to replace the USB board or do I have to replace the battery on my S4? It is a year and a half old and is the model SCH-i545, Verizon Wireless model.
Tough call here. Battery would be the lesser of the two cost wise if your into gambling but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something bigger was damaged internally to be causing the symptoms your describing.

Depending on if you have insurance with VZW you may want to make a claim on it and save yourself the hassles.

Makishanuto

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. After swapping out and testing the battery on multiple other S4s, it is now obvious that the charging port was internally damaged. I do not have insurance on VZW, unfortunately. I'm going to replace it manually, (thank you YouTube). I appreciate your help. Is Amazon an okay place to buy parts? (I know the batteries are almost always fake)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What about wireless charging? Or buying spare batteries and charge them externally.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Is Amazon an okay place to buy parts?
I haven't had any problems. Just use your best judgement and look over reviews/comments on the parts/products your purchasing from the seller. Most of the time that alone paints enough of the picture if its a gamble or solid seller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463