How many mAh constitutes a fully charged S4?

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Just got screwed for the first time by an Amazon Prime purchase. I am leaving Wednesday, Feb 4, to go from the Northern US border with Canada to the Southern US border with Mexico. I bought what I thought was a new, sealed in the box, 10000 mAh portable battery pack charger & paid for Saturday delivery ($9) only to receive an open box with no instruction sheet. :( Needless to say I'm returning it posthaste.

I'm buying a different brand, obviously, but I'd like to know what constitutes a fully charged S4 battery so I know what to buy. From my searches 2600 mAh seems to be the consensus but I'd like to know for certain. If 2600 is correct, then a 5200 mAh charger pack should be fine, right?

Thanks for the assist!
J

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It comes with a 2600mAh battery ("fully charged" can be more or less, depending on the charger and how the phone is designed - and I don't have enough design specs to analyze any phones), but ANY external pack will work fine. Your charger is a 2000mA "battery" as far as the phone is concerned (not mAh, since it has no capacity, just current). I charge my phones from a 30,000 mA "battery" (a 30 Amp 5 Volt power supply). Even a 500mAh external battery will extend the use a little when the battery is discharged down as far as you want to let it discharge (which should never be less than 40% if you want maximum battery life - you can kill a battery in 6 months by always discharging it all the way).

BTW, I'd notify Amazon itself about the problem with that first one - they're pretty strict with their "partners".

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You can also get "Extended batteries" For the S4 They come in the 5000 to 6400 mah range and come with an extended back that allows room for the fatter battery. This size battery should give you about 2 days use without a charge!

IrekJanek

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. is rated at 10000 mAh which would supposedly recharge my phone up to 3+ times. But anyway, I've already initiated the return & ordered a different brand rated at 8400 mAh[/URL] so at 2600 on my battery at "full" I should still be able to top off my phone at least a couple of times if necessary.

Thanks again for the info!

Love your choice. RAVPower is a great brand and you should not be disappointed.

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Love your choice. RAVPower is a great brand and you should not be disappointed.

Absolutely! On the trip down, every time my phone dropped below 50%, I connected it to the pack. Within 10-15 minutes my phone would show high 90% charge. Even while texting my wife, listening to music, etc.

After I got here, pack still had half power.

Best $20 I've ever spent. Amazing little device!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamesfromnyc

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
You are wrong about battery maintenance. Improper battery maintenance you wanted rain down to about 10% period constantly leaving the battery for is exactly what ruins them. My new laptop has a setting where it only charges up the battery to 60% for when you are not running off of battery all the time. Full cycling of the battery is the best way to get the most life out of it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying, but most experts agree that one of the best ways to prolong lithium battery life is not to let it drop much below 30-40% on a regular basis. I've also seen recommendations to charge up to 80% rather than 100% (this is what Tesla recommends for its cars as well), but this can be more of a hassle with phones, so I personally charge up to 100%. Full cycling of the battery (by which I assume you mean charging up to 100% and then using it until the phone shuts down from low battery) is a good way to shorten battery life.

Battery University is an excellent resource to look through.