USB settings 1.0 using all 3G data allowance, how can I stop this?

A

AC Question

USB settings 1.0 using all 3G data allowance

this is happening on a rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 on the UK based network EE

I have a 250mb monthly data allowance and because I spend so much of my time connected to my home Wi-Fi I rarely get anywhere near my limit.

However last month when I got my bill I saw that I had exceeded my allowance so I started taking more interest in what is using it.

I downloaded and enabled an app from the Google Play store call My Data Manager which allows me to see which apps are using data and wi-fi throughout the month.

the first thing that caused me problems was on March 3rd when I went out for the evening and an app called DSMLawmo used 24mb
then March 10th Knox Notification Manager used 11mb
and then on March 14th USB setting used 36mb and on the 15th the same thing used 39mb.

so now with 16 days left until my monthly refresh I have 10mb of my original 250mb allowance remaining.

First thing I did was use Titanium backup to first backup then freeze then delete DSMLawmo
then I did the same with Knox and finally today I did USBSetting 1.0

that's all I can tell you, can anyone advise me on this problem?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: USB settings 1.0 using all 3G data allowance

Sorry for the late reply. If you go into your device's data usage page (usually in settings > mobile networks > data usage) it will show you the apps using your data. If you tap on an app, you can usually disable background data

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2

ReechWFC

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

let me tell you what has been happening
I never get anywhere near my data allowance of 250MB
in March I went over the limit around about the 15th.
luckily I was running 3G Watchdog and that not only alerted me, it also shutdown Mobile Data
since then I installed My Data Manager so I could have a better look at what is using network, both 3G and Wi-Fi
even though it's all on Wi-Fi I've seen a couple of apps using data
Perso and MTP application are the ones I can remember but there has been at least one other.
I've been freezing them through Titanium Backup Pro * Root
and then after looking them up to see if they can be removed I've uninstalled Perso but not MTP application because that one controls USB connectivity to my PC (I think)
Tomorrow is the first day of my new data allowance and I may switch off my Wi-Fi for a few hours just to see what happens.
I'll report back once I've done this experiment.

What I'm most concerned about is that these background/system apps will eat all my data allowance every time I'm outside of a Wi-Fi zone.
:(
=======
by the way, I am the original poster, it's just I forgot to login first.

ReechWFC

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Sorry for the late reply. If you go into your device's data usage page (usually in settings > mobile networks > data usage) it will show you the apps using your data. If you tap on an app, you can usually disable background data

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimLP 5.0.2

and I had a look at the menu you suggested and the things that are using the network outside of the usual Facebook, Google Play type stuff do not show up in there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2