Why does my Galaxy S4 not show up as a drive on my pc?

A

AC Question

why does my galaxy s4 not show up as a drive on my pc

Hello i have just purchased a samsung s4 from a local shop , and although the phone works ok it will not connect via usb to a laptop or pc , it will charge from them but does not show up as a drive or a device , ie does not appear in my computer . Thinking it was just my phone i took it back to the shop, he tried it and two other s4 phones and they all did the same thing .WE tried the proper samsung usb lead , no good .We have also tried the Kies samsung software the phone will not connect through that. We the tried a Samsung galaxy S5 this did appear as a drive in my computer , and through Kies, the problem seems peculier to th S4 have you any suggestions on how to make this phone appear on my computer i look forward to hearing from you as it would seem i am not the only person to have had this problem.
Kind Regards D Farmer

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: why does my galaxy s4 not show up as a drive on my pc

Download the official Samsung USB drives from their website. Then once u install them on your computer reset your pc then u should be good to go.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 rockin 5.0.1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why does my galaxy s4 not show up as a drive on my pc

Run Kies, go to Tools and reinstall the driver (it's the same one you download).

If the phone still isn't seen, I'd suspect a bad cable. (There are 4 wires, 2 for charging and 2 for data. If one of the data wires isn't connected, the phone will still charge.) Since it happened with other S4s, it's probably not your charging port and since it happened with another computer with your phone it's probably not your computer's USB port.

If it happens with other phones, another computer and other cables, I'd be perplexed, and I'd have to open the phone up on the bench to see why it's happening. (About the only thing I can think of is that they all received the same update, and there's a bug in it.)

Kwame Aubin

May 9, 2015
Visit site
You are right. It is a peculiar problem with the Galaxy S4. However there is a solution to it.
Go to settings-More-About Device.
Search and tap 7 times or more on the "Build number" (even though its grayed out). You get a notification that you are a few steps away from becoming a developer. Keep tapping till you get the notification that you have become a developer.
Go back to settings-More-Developer Options-USB debugging.
You are good to go.
Ciao.:p:-!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana