Severe battery drain (bought new battery today also)

VexExil

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey there, I've recently had problems with my phone's battery life. The battery was draining very quickly even when there were no apps running in the background. So, today I decided to pick up a new battery. I did the initial charge and put it to the test. Here I am 2 hours on battery sitting at 54%...

Anybody know what's going on? It's extremely frustrating having to charge your phone 3 times a day especially when you're on the go...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Can you post screenshots of the battery stats? Something to keep in mind is the new battery will need some time to settle down, too.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Open Settings/General/Battery. If you can't take a screenshot (How To Post Screenshots on Android Central) of that page and the next one (that you get to by tapping the graph), let us know what apps are at the top of the list under the graph, and what percentage of power they're using. (The first 4 are enough.)

VexExil

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry but can't get any my phone to screenshot at the moment. It's been acting up the last day or two. It reads like this though:
- Screen 51%
- Kik 23%
- Android System 11%
- Android OS 7%
- Google Keyboard 4%
- Snapchat 2%

I hope that helps a bit. Again, I apologize for not being able to supply a screenshot. I'll take a crack at it tomorrow.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I see that Kik is a messaging app, so as long as you've been messaging a lot with it, and as long as the stats cover a reasonable period of time, everything seems okay. When you send screenshots, be sure to let us know what screen brightness you are using. Also, check the strength of your signal....a weak signal will tax the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

VexExil

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I see that Kik is a messaging app, so as long as you've been messaging a lot with it, and as long as the stats cover a reasonable period of time, everything seems okay. When you send screenshots, be sure to let us know what screen brightness you are using. Also, check the strength of your signal....a weak signal will tax the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes, Kik is a messaging app, but I have not been using it enough to drain the battery this severely. So, I've been looking at the history details and I just noticed that the phone has been awake nearly the entire time. What would be keeping it awake even if the screen is off and no apps are running in the background? I'm still working on the screenshot issue but I probably won't get around to it until tonight.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
A Power Off and Restart will often fix wakelocks and similar problems.

Booting into Safe Mode will also tell you whether a third-party app is giving trouble. It may even be the Kik app....although I'm not suggesting that the app is bad in normal cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38