Battery hot while charging

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
The last few days when I've changed my S4 the battery has gotten really hot. The highest it went to was 43 degrees C. To me that is scary, today it went to 40 degrees which is still scary. Is this normal temperature for the battery while it's charging? Normally it goes to about 38 degrees.

I'm still on 4.4.2 kitkat.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the original charger, or a 3rd party charger? Is the battery charging up more quickly?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the original charger my phone came with. The battery doesn't seem to be charging any faster or slower. Just seems to be normal charging but going 40 degrees or higher.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Besides a faulty battery or charger the phone can get very hot if you use it while charging. Check if you have any app set to sync / upload while charging. Usual suspects could be your gallery app or Google +. If they are trying to upload many photos in the background that heavy data transfer could be the culprit.

Make a test. Uncheck their sync settings for the next charge and see if it makes a difference. Also you could try to switch WiFi and mobile off before charging. That could limit the search of the problem.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
As far as I'm aware no apps are set to sync or upload while my phone is charging. I did test my battery yesterday by trying to spin it on a flat surface & it doesn't spin.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since any cable can start to fail, maybe your original cable is going bad. Have you tried charging using any other USB cable or wall charging plug?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Since any cable can start to fail, maybe your original cable is going bad. Have you tried charging using any other USB cable or wall charging plug?

Haven't tried that. I've got a portable charger which uses a usb cable but that cable is very short could try that when I next need to charge my phone as a test. Would probably have to use my Nintendo Wii to charge my phone via the usb ports as the cable is to short to put into a plug & charge.

My phone went up to 40 degrees again but when I played around on my phone the temperature dropped to 38 degrees which is strange as the phone should get hot while on charge & on the phone at the same time.

Will probably use the short usb cable tomorrow & see if the same thing happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you use the Wii to charge the phone, chances are you won't reproduce the heat issue because the current from the Wii will be significantly lower than a wall outlet. So it won't be a good comparison.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm