Lollipop Upgrade Weirdness

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So a couple of weeks ago my Credo (Sprint MVNO) Galaxy S4 finally got the update to Lollipop. I plugged it in, made sure it was charged, and let 'er rip on the reboot and install.

It failed, giving a message about not being able to find the update.zip file. I was able to get it to reboot into KitKat again without any problem, but the upgrade was no longer available.

A week later I once again was told that the upgrade was available. I uninstalled most of my apps in case free space was the problem, ending up with 5 Gb free. Same story, and the same again the following week.

So now I'm using an app-less phone, waiting for the damned update to show up again. I've never rooted the phone or done anything trickier than replacing the launcher. Any ideas as to why the update keeps failing?

Posted via the Android Central App

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
So a couple of weeks ago my Credo (Sprint MVNO) Galaxy S4 finally got the update to Lollipop. I plugged it in, made sure it was charged, and let 'er rip on the reboot and install.

It failed, giving a message about not being able to find the update.zip file. I was able to get it to reboot into KitKat again without any problem, but the upgrade was no longer available.

A week later I once again was told that the upgrade was available. I uninstalled most of my apps in case free space was the problem, ending up with 5 Gb free. Same story, and the same again the following week.

So now I'm using an app-less phone, waiting for the damned update to show up again. I've never rooted the phone or done anything trickier than replacing the launcher. Any ideas as to why the update keeps failing?

Posted via the Android Central App

Welcome to Android Central!

Try hooking the phone up to Samsung Kies on your computer and seeing if the update installs that way.

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Try hooking the phone up to Samsung Kies on your computer and seeing if the update installs that way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never had a reason to install or use Kies before, so it never occurred to me to try it for an OTA update. Looks like it worked, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12