I545/VZW S4: Upgrade issues w/ Safestrap, how can I resolve this?

brandonsmash

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I545/VZW S4: Upgrade issues w/ Safestrap

First: While generally technically competent and having rooted/installed custom ROMs on a number of phones, I would not categorize myself as terribly intelligent with regards to Android and its inner workings.

When I bought my S4 I rooted it and installed Safestrap so as to install a ROM that would allow me to remove the carrier/manufacturer bloatware. It's worked for the past year and change.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade to Android 5.x. I found a well-reviewed OF1 ROM and tried to install it with Safestrap. Turns out that wasn't wise: I ended up stuck at the recovery boot screen. Luckily I'd made a backup and was able to restore that, which worked except I lost my ring tones (no big deal) and Wifi (bigger deal). Today I found a thread including "gogolies wifi fix nk1," which performed as advertised. Great! Now I'm nearly back to where I started a day ago.

This brings me to my question: With Safestrap, do I have any hope of upgrading past 4.4.2? I've not seen any 5.x ROMs listed as Safestrap-compatible, and I'm not familiar with how to remove Safestrap and install TWRP. While I'd planned to pick up the newer Google Nexus phone late this year or early next year, I'll likely end up wanting to delay that and therefore keep my S4 going for another year or two. Do I, as a non-expert user, have options?

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995