Why isn't my phone turning on?

vanessa_orejel

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I've had since 2014. It has worked perfectly but now it doesn't turn on. Let me give you guys a bit of a background on what I believe is the problem. So my charging cord that came with my phone stopped working so I bought a new one. Unfortunately that one did not last either. I then decided to buy 2 extra batteries so I can just have those charged and switch them in whenever my phone died. I did this very frequently, seeing as how I had a total of 3 batteries and I would use my phone all the time. Last Friday, my phone died and I didn't charge it until I went to sleep. (I had to use a charger that has to be at an angle to work). I woke up the next morning trying to turn on my phone but nothing happened so I switched it with a battery that I left charging overnight and I tried turning on the phone again. Once again nothing happened. I tried with my other battery and I got the same result. I don't know if it's the batteries that no longer work but from one of the batteries, I got a result. The phone vibrates and it shows a battery with the lightning symbol on it, saying that it needs to be charged. Then it starts charging but stays at 0% then stops charging completely. This has only happened a few times. Yesterday I was able to get it working and charging until it got to 17% (miraculously & it turned on). It was overheating so I put it on top of a fan so it can somewhat cool down. It then stopped charging after a while. I unplugged it and let it cool down completely then I went to go buy a new battery from batteries plus. I charged this new battery completely (last night) before I attempted to turn on my phone and it STILL doesn't turn on. I know it's not my charger either because it was brand new that I bought a few days ago and it works because it was charging my sister's phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did the new battery show that it charged up completely? If there seem to be problems with the actual charging process, it may be that the microUSB port is damaged. It's also possible that there's something more fundamentally wrong with the motherboard.

vanessa_orejel

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I charged it last night with the battery charging port. The microUSB port looks fine and it was charging yesterday but I have no idea what it might be that is causing it not to turn on. I also had it plugged into my charger for a while to see if anything would happen and I didn't see the red light that signifies that it is charging. :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If the microUSB port is damaged, you may not know if the battery is charging correctly or not. Can you try the replacement battery in another S4 to make sure it has a proper charge?