Horrible battery life?

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I got an S4 i9505 replacement yesterday from my insurance company. It effectively seems to be new phone and battery, anyway when I turned it on it had 70% battery left, I logged into my various things and it sat about downloading and restoring and installing a 5.0.1 update, the process took about 30 mins and at the end of the 30 mins I had 9% battery left, I connected to the charger and it was full again in 30mins which I found odd.

Anyway let it sit on the charger all night, took it off this morning and with 2 mins of screen on time I am already at 94%, I can't see how this thing will last the day.

I am not a newbie, I have things like sync and GPS etc turned off and screen brightness lowered however in saying that even at the lowest setting it seems very bright.

Any ideas?

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It still could be the battery! How old is the battery? Usually good for about 500 charges or about 18 months of charging every day. You can get a Samsung OEM replacement on Ebay for $5. GPS apps and Mapping apps eats battery life. Press the HOME button a couple seconds and see how many apps are still running. Press the CLOSE ALL button in the lower right corner to turn off all apps.

Search for "battery" in this forum to find a lot of information about battery life!

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Battery is only about 2 weeks old. I have found the problem. Touchwiz. I installed the GPE Rom, difference is day and night, My phone has been of the charger now for 11 hours and is at 80% and that also has 40 mins screen on time.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Are you using lollipop? If you're using lollipop, could you please link me to where you downloaded that ROM? Because I have an almost identical problem on kitkat, updated to lollipop and factory reset and still there. I have tried everything besides installing a custom ROM (haven't found a successful method to root my Verizon S4 i545 5.0.1 though). Thanks.

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Are you using lollipop? If you're using lollipop, could you please link me to where you downloaded that ROM? Because I have an almost identical problem on kitkat, updated to lollipop and factory reset and still there. I have tried everything besides installing a custom ROM (haven't found a successful method to root my Verizon S4 i545 5.0.1 though). Thanks.

Yes lollipop. I have an i9505 though. The rom I used was [ROM]【5.1】【JFLTE-GPE&#1… | Samsung Galaxy S 4 i9500, i9505, i9505G, i9506 | XDA Forums

It may or may not be available for your phone

VicPy

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I have been having the same battery problems since the end of July. Have replaced the battery--no change. Verizon told me that the Galaxy S4 could not handle the lollipop update and that is why it is doing this--and not under warranty--basically blamed me for update--it is factory set to auto update. I have noticed that I can not see all of the images/pictures I've had on my phone and was thinking maybe the SIM card went bad...any thoughts on this? Camera doesn't work as well as it used to (especially when the battery is low) and under 50%, it freezes up. Please help!

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I updated to lollipop & don't have any of these problems. My battery can last all day if I'm not on my phone constantly. My phone is also the i9505 one.

Posted via Android Central App

VicPy

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Took my SIM card out. Charged-up, turned on my phone this morning and I am still at 48%. Will see if it stays on all night--It hasn't made it through the night in weeks. Also, used the camera and posted in Instagram...it did not freeze-up like it has been lately. Might be overzealous right now, but I'm thinking it might have been the (bad) SIM card all along. Anyone know of a way to recover info on a bad SIM card?

UPDATE: It made it through the night! Almost 10am and still has 27%.

Last edited:

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Took my SIM card out. Charged-up, turned on my phone this morning and I am still at 48%. Will see if it stays on all night--It hasn't made it through the night in weeks. Also, used the camera and posted in Instagram...it did not freeze-up like it has been lately. Might be overzealous right now, but I'm thinking it might have been the (bad) SIM card all along. Anyone know of a way to recover info on a bad SIM card?

You might be able to go to your carrier & transfer your stuff from your bad SIM to a new one. Vodafone done it with my mum's one.

Posted via Android Central App

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah so I took my phone to a local computer/mobile shop and they said they'd take a look at it. Turns out a combination of the CPU and screen was faulty and they said that is what is causing the issue. They tested it with a new screen and it worked great. I'm upgrading in a month so obviously I didn't want to spend $150 for a screen replacement so I had them put the old one back in. At least I found out what the problem was...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordNikonX