Can I get some help with a charging problem?

red3333

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Charging problems - the adventure...

S4 Gt-i9500

Endless charging problems. I have tried:

2 normal Samsung chargers.
one of these: google: usb inline power monitors
upwards of 20 different cables
2 different anker power blocks
replacing the charging port in the phone
CPUtemp app
galaxy charge app
2 genuine batteries and 3 ****ty ebay ones

I seem to be going through about one usb cable every 2-7days.

When I use a new (good) USB cable my phone charges at 1200mA with the screen on; and higher with the screen off (up to 1900mA is pretty normal). after about a day; the charge rate drops to anywhere between 800-1100mA. 2nd day 500-1000, a few days later I am pushing 300mA (which is not enough to maintain charge, the ankers are falling asleep not detecting the phone). I understand the handshake that goes on between the phone and the charger.

not gonna lie; I use my phone. I probably go through 3-5 full charges a day. I am plugged into power blocks more often than not; because I can't get enough power into my phone. (this has been since day 1, about a year old now.)

I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle to keep my phone charged. (well I am; but worse than the expected one)

These are now short cables (30cm) to avoid the power loss over distance, fat cables to get the right AWG and actually get the juice down the cable. I have tried the pinch-trick, and that works for a bit; then stops working after a day, I can pinch again but it eventually stops being effective.

I have replaced my charging port. found the new one to be worse (only charged at max of 700mA where I was getting 1200 previously); and swapped it back.

it also appears that my phone takes away the two teeth on the bottom of a microusb cable; so after a few days cables are falling out of the phone port with merely a tap (making the problem worse).

Is there some secret to microUSB cables that I don't know about? I have tried everything I can. Just bought another charging port to replace the old one for a second time. If this doesn't work I have no ******* idea what to do.

I also just bought a stock of 30 cables that work so I can just trash the dead ones and move up.

cables like the glowing microusb cables (like from fasttech - it's just an LED and a fibre optic wire in the cable.) are the only ones that last more than a few days; but I don't like the constant power use. 80mA drains a block more than I want.

I looked around on the forum for charging trouble posts. nothing seems to be helpful any more. Is there a guide around? Can someone link me? Is the secret fancy cables? I have been wasting my life on this problem far too long already.

p.s. links have spaces in them. not trying to spam advertising; just trying to point at what I am talking about