Can't update my phone (Samsung Galaxy 4), what do I do?

A

AC Question

Can't update my phone (Samsung Galaxy 4)

Hello, seeing as Pokémon Go is out, I thought I would download an APK for it and it showed as "There is a problem parsing the package" I quickly searched online and google suggested I change my Security settings to check off "Unknown sources" for download. Then I tried again with no luck. I then think "Oh maybe I need to update my phone." I tried updating the phone but the message says "Your device has been modified, Software updates are not available." So I headed over to About device and went to my phones "Status" and it states that my device status is set as "Custom." Now, I bought my phone from "MobileDepot" and it is a "T-Mobile" phone working on "Wind network" here in Canada. I also did a little more research and the internet said something about removing the SD Card and attempting to update the phone. Now, I don't have an SD card in the phone.. it never came with one, so now what do I do? I would like to update my phone so I can get in on that Pokémon Go action!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's possible a previous owner rooted your phone, which can prevent it from updating properly. Run Root Checker to see.

I would also strongly caution you against sideloading the apk for Pokemon Go, due to malware risk. Sites that have apk files typically do nothing to vet them for malware, and considering how immensely popular Pokemon Go is, you can be sure that nasty folks are doing their best to infiltrate non-authentic versions of the game with malware. Is there a reason you can't install it from the Play Store? Does it tell you that your phone is not compatible?