"Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped" Can't boot after factory reset + No solutions working

Sty9

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
"Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped" Can't boot after factory reset + No solutions working

Hello,

I've been trying to factory reset my Galaxy S4 (SCH-1545) many times but keep getting stuck after entering my Name during the Setup Wizard. It just spams me with "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped." popups that never stop and don't allow me to access my phone or settings whatsoever.

While this seemed to be only a minor annoyance at first, it has evolved into a unsolvable issue for me and I need any help I can get. Please offer any advice you can.

Solutions that haven't worked for me:
- I found multiple videos online of people being able to access their settings amidst the popup spam, and can disable the setup wizard, but it doesn't allow me to open the settings at all.

- I tried using both Kies3 and Samsung's Smart Switch to try and reset/reinitialize the device. This seems to go well, but when it gets to 100% and the device restarts into bootloader mode, it freezes and never completes the process.

- I tried using ADB to run some commands and try and fix the error but ADB won't even see my device.

- The other solution seems to be flashing a new ROM since mine doesn't want to cooperate with my phone. This is where my problems begin.

I haven't been able to get my PC to see my phone while it's in bootloader mode. It shows up as an "Other" device "MSM8960" on my Device Manager. I'm running Windows 8.1. When I click to update the driver software it seems to recognize what it is and starts downloading something but never installs it because 'the service is not started'. I've tried this with both my Windows 8.1 PC and Windows 7 laptop with no success.

Odin does not recognize my phone in bootloader mode nor does Heimdall. I've tried a newer and older USB cord, in different USB slots, 2.0 and 3.0.

If anyone knows another way to download and install the proper drivers for "MSM8960" aka the bootloader Samsung S4 that would be a huge help. I've tried reinstalling them from kies. Or another solution to the original error message would be amazing.

Please help me get my phone back, thank you!

TL;DR: Can't boot, PC wont see my phone in bootloader mode no matter what I do, and windows doesn't feel like installing the drivers.

Sty9

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped" Can't boot after factory reset + No solutions working

Woops double post, I also tried an older version of the drivers but got the same message.

Last edited:

Sty9

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped" Can't boot after factory reset + No solutions working

You have to give it permission to do so. Windows 8 blocks that by default. Here's how to bypass that.

How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 or 10 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

I followed the steps but the installation still won't finish. :(

Update: I tried with a new cable on a family member's computer and it worked. Used the Smart Switch software.

Last edited:

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh good, glad you figured it out.