Apps closing by themselves

Bluefield

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if anyone else gets this on their S4. Have noticed if I'm listening to spotify or soundcloud with the screen off, the app just shuts down after 10 mins or so. I can't find anything in settings to stop the phone doing this and there's nothing in the app settings.
Running lollipop.
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's possible (although I don't have an S4 myself to test). Try turning off the power-saving mode, and see if the same thing happens.

Bluefield

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Turned power saving off & tried spotify again. It did the same thing again after roughly 10 mins. If I listen to audio with screen off using chrome, it seems to be ok. Seems to be just spotify & soundcloud that has the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any task-killer or "RAM cleaner" apps? Make sure Spotify and Soundcloud aren't on their lists to kill.

Bluefield

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
No, not running any task killer/RAM cleaner/Battery saver apps. Noticed with YouTube, the screen doesn't ever time out when something is playing, but stops when you click the power button to turn the screen off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Either the system is closing apps too aggressively, or Spotify and Soundcloud aren't properly coded to keep playing in the background when the screen sleeps. I don't use Spotify or Soundcloud--hopefully others here can share their experience with those apps.

Bluefield

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
No problem, thanks for trying. It's just the one bugbear I have with this phone. It even happens with the Samsung music app when you pause a track, come back 10 mins later, to find it's been closed and not even saved where you left it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37