wifi keeps turning on by itself even after i turn it back off!

bladexdsl

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
my wifi is constantly being turned on and draining my battery 10 points a day without my permission!

i have every option in wifi, advanced unchecked, location is OFF i don't know how the hell it's still being turned on! it's only started doing this recently probably after a bS update? it's driving me mad!

any ideas what it can be before i give up and do a factory reset...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you see the wi-fi toggle actually turned back on, or are you only seeing wi-fi on in the battery graph?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-27781

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

bladexdsl

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
it stays off in safe mode and i have uninstalled every app i know that would even use wifi except the android apps.

i think as soon as i enter the contacts or messages it turns on?!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the stock Messaging app? Of the two apps you mentioned, it would make more sense for Messaging to force wi-fi on. See if you can narrow it down to the Messaging app.

Also, try wiping the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5744 (EDIT: wrong link, see later post)

Last edited:

bladexdsl

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
yes the message app that comes with the phone.

if i do a factory reset though everything will be wiped off the phone. i may have no choice though. afterwards i'm never upgrading the android OS AGAIN

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiping the cache partition doesn't erase any personal data, as I mentioned above. It's not the same as a factory reset. The system cache has temporary system data, which can sometimes foul things up; clearing it can help with various issues.

bladexdsl

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
i don't see any option to clear the cache partition just factory reset which will do this:

A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloads, ringtones, images, apps, contacts

bladexdsl

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
i disabled the default messager program and installed Google Messenger and it still turns on! it seems to turn on with any message/txt program?!

that's it I'm doing a factory reset.