External Batteries that recharge Galaxy S5's internal battery

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've wanted to get a biggish external battery which has the capability to recharge the S5's battery more than once, say 2-3 times. This will come in handy either during blackouts, or when there isn't an outlet nearby, or just to have in contingency / Plan B type situations.

there are some that work better than others, and there are some that are poorly designed.

may i ask for advice on the very best you guys have come across or used or owned? I don't want issues, just want one that is very well made, carefully and thoughtfully designed, executed, and a pleasure to use without problems. what's the point of an emergency/Plan B type of battery that doesn't rise to the occasion when called upon?!?

look forward to hearing your suggestions, recommendations, and experiences.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: External Batteries that recharge S5's internal battery

I'd be interested in seeing what everyone has to say as well. There are plenty on the market to choose from and come in various shapes, sizes and capacities.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I've wanted to get a biggish external battery which has the capability to recharge the S5's battery more than once, say 2-3 times. This will come in handy either during blackouts, or when there isn't an outlet nearby, or just to have in contingency / Plan B type situations.

there are some that work better than others, and there are some that are poorly designed.

may i ask for advice on the very best you guys have come across or used or owned? I don't want issues, just want one that is very well made, carefully and thoughtfully designed, executed, and a pleasure to use without problems. what's the point of an emergency/Plan B type of battery that doesn't rise to the occasion when called upon?!?

thanks in advance.

My favorite company by far is Mophie. All of their products are great but this one is by far my favorite: mophie juice pack powerstation XL - Longest Lasting Universal Battery Available For Smartphones, Tablets, USB Devices
They've never let me down. I carry at least one around with me at all times. I use my phones and tablet hard so I'm constantly having to charge them. I use these all the time and haven't had a problem.

I used to buy from hypershop, but they are total crap. I bought one and was happy with it so I bought another. While the new one was being shipped to me the old one died. Was only a few months old. Company apologized sent me another. Then they both died just recently and it's only been about 10 months. Total garbage please don't waste your money. This time they didn't care that they died. Just told me to buy another. No way.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

My favorite company by far is Mophie. All of their products are great but this one is by far my favorite: mophie juice pack powerstation XL - Longest Lasting Universal Battery Available For Smartphones, Tablets, USB Devices
They've never let me down. I carry at least one around with me at all times. I use my phones and tablet hard so I'm constantly having to charge them. I use these all the time and haven't had a problem.

This one has been top notch for every device I've thrown at it (iPhones, iPads, HTC One, Droid Razr, Moto X, etc). 👍

[Upgraded Version & All Smart Ports] Anker? 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh... Amazon.com: [Upgraded Version & All Smart Ports] Anker? 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh Portable External Battery USB Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for Apple iPhone 5s 5c 5; iPad Air mini; Samsung Galaxy S5 S4; Note 3 2; Tab 3 2, Google Nexus and M

wonder if we might be able to find someone who can compare and contrast the Mophie Powerstation Duo XL (12000mA) vs the Anker 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mA?

they seem to be direct competitors.

thanks.

JSanchez41

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

Great question i will be watching for replies, i always wondered about those battery pack things

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

thanks in advance.

I'm going to use the same strategy I used with the S4:

I used to carry around a Mophie 5000mAh charger, but found it was a giant pain to always have with me, what with it being essentially the size of the phone I was trying to charge. (Galaxy Nexus, then Galaxy S4). And, to be truthful, I also have an 18000mAh unit from Brookstone that I can use to charge my phone throughout an entire weekend of camping, and still have juice left to spare.

So, I switched to a set of extra batteries. I originally bought a single Samsung replacement battery and the charger for about $50. But, when the knockoff market got going for the S4, I wound up with two orders each of 2x2600mAh NFC battery + wall charger from Yesoo on Amazon for $12 each order. The S4 knockoffs were reliably 1/32" thicker than their gen counterparts, but performed every bit as well. So, for what amounted to less than $30, I got enough batteries to go 3-4 days without a charge under normal use. I normally left the house with one in my pocket. If the phone was under 50%, I'd carry two. Even two batteries were less obtrusive than any external battery in the pocket, AND I never had to carry a freakin' USB cable. The BIGGEST plus? I could change batteries in about 30 seconds, and have a full charge, with no need to have the phone tethered to a brick on the counter or in my pocket.

Unfortunately, since our S5 has been released for all of about 72 hours, the batteries are just not out there yet (not even the Samsung-OEM battery-charger combo). So, I spend a lot of time unnerved about losing my charge. So, I'll break out the Mophie, and carry it in whatever bag I happen to have with me, and grumble when I have to carry around a phone with a usb cable hanging off of it.

But, when the NFC-enabled knockoff batteries show up on Amazon, I'll be ordering four of them, and two chargers, and that should do me for the life of this device, and four batteries should hold me for any sort of blackout that also doesn't require me to evacuate the area.

Mark

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 Ankers (small 2x and 4x ones) that work very well I also have a 16,000 Isound that has been a workhorse for when we are out camping . I'm sure once I get the S5 (waiting to see about 32gb) I'm sure I will go with an extra battery and just charge that off the Boosters when needed. Will also be doing Wireless charging as I really miss it since my Pre days..

Oh I also like to use a 6ft cable so I can keep the charger in a backpack or back pocket and Phone in front pocket , it works well for still beiung able to use the phone without the cord getting in the way or pulling on phone or charger

kaicho

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Why not just get spare batteries for your S5? You get amp loss charging a battery and this battery charges another battery.

Old rocker on Tapatalk

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I ended up going wireless and use a QI power bank as well. No opening port or having to remove back to swap battery. Just drop them both in my pocket and keeps it topped off when I know I will need more juice. Actually a bit shocked it works so well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae