Galaxy S5 Wireless Charger (PHOTO)

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
personally, i'm interested in thin.

thus, these flip cases are not of personal interest.

they are very well designed, however, as the built-in window gives the most important tidbits without the need to open it up. ;)

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I too want to try this wireless charging concept, mainly because of the sealed USB port on the S5 and the fact I plug my phones in at least 3 or 4 times a day. Samsung's site has a sign-up page and when the wireless rear covers come in stock they will alert you. It says they expect stock within 2 weeks last time I checked. I have looked at a lot of third party Qi charging pads and none of them look too nice, either badly-shaped, no grip, sketchy reviews, cheap looking construction, etc. I think I will wait for the Samsung charging pad as it appears to have a textured surface that might grip the phone. Can't understand why any of these manufacturers would make a charging pad without some kind of textured/grippy surface.

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
... I have looked at a lot of third party Qi charging pads and none of them look too nice, either badly-shaped, no grip, sketchy reviews, cheap looking construction, etc. I think I will wait for the Samsung charging pad as it appears to have a textured surface that might grip the phone. Can't understand why any of these manufacturers would make a charging pad without some kind of textured/grippy surface.

Qi charging pads do not need a lot (or any) texture because most are charging on a flat surface. I have 2 different Qi chargers and one is a 3 coil and the other is a one coil. 3 coil is easier to line up, but my 1 coil charges faster. The 1 coil I use is:

CHOE UPGRADED Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad for Nexus 5, Nexus 7... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C40OG22...droidcentral00-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3585530 for $24.99

And you have to buy or use an existing wall wort between 1000 & 2000 mw. I bought:

Amazon Kindle 9W PowerFast Adapter for Accelerated Charging by Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GWO5W...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3585530 for $19.99.

These worked on my S3 and I will be trying it out for my S5 and I should have no problems I hope.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the suggestion of the non-Samsung branded wireless charger.

the whole idea of having to concern myself with how warm an off-brand wireless charger would make my S5, etc, all worry me to some extent. these issues were written about by some of the reviews on that charger.

as unpleasant as it is to have to wait for the Samsung accessories to come out, i know i'd regret not waiting for them once they do become available. i even worry about an off brand foil-like accessory to the inside of the caseback. these have the possibility of screwing things up if designed poorly. with the original, Samsung-branded wireless caseback, we know the foil inductance receiving foil is permanently ON the caseback itself and that it is properly designed, thereby lending a level of peace of mind.

i'm impatiently waiting for the Samsung wireless charger to come out. it's ridiculous that they have this inconvenient microUSB3 port cover and yet get the phone out the door but the wireless charger with no "available date" whatsoever. their samsung.com website is also sorely lacking. poor feedback to customers. it doesn't say at all when it is expected. when i so-called "pre-ordered", it didn't even take a credit card!! all they did was to send me an email saying that they'll notify me when the charger becomes available and then i can place an order. well, that's not pre-order! that is pre-notification! yikes. poorly run website.

Last edited:

stryder36x

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I have no experience with wireless charging so forgive my ignorance but will this work through my otterbox commuter case? I know I have to change out the battery cover to allow the contact but it would be a pain in I had to take my case off every time I needed a charge

Posted via Android Central App

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have no experience with wireless charging so forgive my ignorance but will this work through my otterbox commuter case? I know I have to change out the battery cover to allow the contact but it would be a pain in I had to take my case off every time I needed a charge

Posted via Android Central App

It depends on the charger, the phone, and the case. I ran my S3 naked, so I am not sure. I will be running a case with my S5, and I will have to wait and see. I know the thinner cases have worked in the past. Usually you have to ask or read all the case and charger review comments. I have a feeling people will post in here too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have 3 Nexus orbs (that i bought when I had a Nexus 4) and used it with my S4. The convenience of just grabbing it off the charger, especially when I'm at work is great. I too am hoping the replaceable back is the same size as the current back because the official Samsung S4 replaceable back made my S4 noticeably thicker and heavier and it was extremely difficult to find a case that actually fit it.

The phones can typically charge through cases, but again, it does depend on the case. Depending on the size of the charger (the nexus orb being narrow enough in diameter and the right bumper, you can still have actual "contact" between the back of the phone and the charger. With that said, I was able to make my S4 charge through a fully covering case.

I'm annoyed that Samsung wouldn't have made the charging covers immediately available (not to mention just part of the package to begin with) especially in light of the new port cover on the phone. It is really annoying to have to keep opening the cover and I'm always nervous that I will pull it out accidentally or break it. Don't get me wrong, I like the port cover, but then give us the wireless charger at the same time.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The best Qi charger is the Tylt Vu. Check it out - I used it on my Droid Maxx and would love to use it on the S5. This will only happen if an actual thin TPU supports the back cover. I'm holding out hope because Diztronic says their S4 case was confirmed to work so hopefully the S5 will.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

richterfan78

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to get the Samsung cover for $30. Just get the receiver insert for $6-10 and use your current cover. There are plenty of them for all different models on amazon. Most Qi wireless will work if the case is less than 5mm thick. Spigen Slim Armor is a good example of one that it works with.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to get the Samsung cover for $30. Just get the receiver insert for $6-10 and use your current cover. There are plenty of them for all different models on amazon. Most Qi wireless will work if the case is less than 5mm thick. Spigen Slim Armor is a good example of one that it works with.

yes, but the thinnest is 0.5mm, which is enough to create a bulge for water to leak through

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
actually, if you examine the stock back closely there is a space between the cover and battery big enough to fit the 0.5 mm receivers into. I really think Sammy is just adding the electronics to the stock cover and it was designed this way from the start...still a bit puzzling why they just didn't include it in the phone out of the box!
With the aftermarket receiver, your concern should actually be more with the "fit" of the receiver as the cover gasket runs dangerously close to the charging contacts and leaves little room for extra backing material in this area! Be careful when choosing an aftermarket receiver as many leave extra material that will interfere with the seal! You may actually be able to trim this area back if necessary, but your taking a chance!
Personally, I ordered one from DX that seems to be trimed VERY close to the contacts and is a "slim" 0.5 mm model and is only $9, so if it doesn't work is is no great lose!
Down the road I may order a new Sammy charging back when they come with new collars to change the color of my phone...Red sounds nice!

Also, with my S4 I had no problems with the aftermarket thin receiver and any of the cases I have including several TPU and Spiegen Neo Hybrid or Slim Armor!
And adding a higher power 2a wall plug tends to cut charge times considerably!

Cheers

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
actually, if you examine the stock back closely there is a space between the cover and battery big enough to fit the 0.5 mm receivers into. I really think Sammy is just adding the electronics to the stock cover and it was designed this way from the start...still a bit puzzling why they just didn't include it in the phone out of the box!
With the aftermarket receiver, your concern should actually be more with the "fit" of the receiver as the cover gasket runs dangerously close to the charging contacts and leaves little room for extra backing material in this area! Be careful when choosing an aftermarket receiver as many leave extra material that will interfere with the seal! You may actually be able to trim this area back if necessary, but your taking a chance!
Personally, I ordered one from DX that seems to be trimed VERY close to the contacts and is a "slim" 0.5 mm model and is only $9, so if it doesn't work is is no great lose!
Down the road I may order a new Sammy charging back when they come with new collars to change the color of my phone...Red sounds nice!

Also, with my S4 I had no problems with the aftermarket thin receiver and any of the cases I have including several TPU and Spiegen Neo Hybrid or Slim Armor!
And adding a higher power 2a wall plug tends to cut charge times considerably!

Cheers

That would make me extremely happy but I'm not counting on it. I looked at the Note 3 cover and S5 cover and this is what the Note 3 says on Samsung store:

" *When installed, the Wireless Battery Cover will result in a very slight increase in the overall size of the device. As such, there is a possibility that not all case options may fit as they do with the standard battery cover installed."

I didn't see this on the S5 though. May be that the door is the same as stock or its just not added yet.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol